Y&R: Shocking recast!

• Members

Tucker is a terrible character in the first place, and William Russ just has never clicked. He wasn't funny as the dad on Boy Meets World in my opinion either. I like Stephen Nichols and he's a good enough actor to pull it off, but the writing and current characterization have a LOT left desired.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not up for a Tucker/Jill/Katherine storyline, either. Believe me, a man caught between his attraction to one woman and his devotion to his mother can make for great soap opera (GL's Nick/Mindy/Alex comes to mind), but...not now, not on this show, not with those three.

• Members

In other news...

"DAYS: SHOCKING RECAST! William Russ, who's just been let go as Y&R's Tucker McCall, has been snapped up to play Steve 'Patch' Johnson on DAYS, taking over a role made legendary by Stephen Nichols, Russ's replacement at Y&R!"

I'm kidding, of course (but how scary is it to think this could actually happen?).

• Members

I don't think it could. Patch is a long term well established character. Tucker has been on screen for like two weeks. Most people will forget that Russ was in the role in a year or two, which is not to say the man isn't talented. But SN is a soap star and I'm feeling a particular loyalty to those right now.

• Members

How is this shocking if he is Katherine's son? That has been badly telegraphed.

I do think it was tacky to hire William Russ and then so quickly fire him, but isn't that so typical for Y&R today, the failure of this storyline will all be blamed on the actor, and a recast of a story which isn't very good and which is extremely lazy will be some excuse to ignore the bad writing.

I can already hear Branco saying, "Stephen Nichols is the new Michael Muhney!!!!"

Braeden will probably not be happy about this. He doesn't want any threats on the show.

• Members

I don't know how anyone can't see what the "shocking secret" is, it's so damn obvious, and it's going to be used to force this character down everyone's throats at the expense of those characters he's related to, watch.

These people can't even plot or pace one decent story, and nothing ever has any long-term impact, so changing story "direction" isn't surprising to me. No one at this show knows what the hell to do with it, but they're still employed, at the expense of the show itself and the loyal fans who just want to see one properly executed story that doesn't seem made up as they go along.

Let me stress, I like Stephen Nichols, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make this Tucker character work, and I'm not confident that can be done on this current incarnation of Y&R.

• Members

If this is Katherine's son then this guy is too young. Nikki, Jill and Gloria are the other candidates...this guy is much younger than those three. As long as they don't go that route then I'm happy with this. He's a good actor and hopefully will have better chemistry with Jess Walton. This guy has no sex appeal AT ALL and just plain sucks. Hopefully they do the right thing when they see that dried up California raisin as Malcolm.

• Members

Stephen Nichols is almost 60, so that is in the right age range.

I just wish this would actually amount to something. As long as Braeden is around, Nichols has no real chance. He will probably be turned into a eunuch, or a psycho, and be gone within a year.

Archived