ATWT Canceled

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I predict OLTL 2011. I don't think they will do it next year. They may count on OLTL picking up some viewers from ATWT who knows. But I think GL's cancellation proves viewers don't just move to another soap when theirs gets cancelled. I might give Days props for signing CC and MAYBE they picked up a few as a result of that.

• Members

Oh, please... let's be honest here: I don't think you "wish you could agree with that" at all. For as many jabs as you take at OLTL, I think you would get a little gleeful over an OLTL cancellation announcement. Maybe you'd even do some kind of "Told-ya-so" dance?

I'm sorry. I just have to say something. I find it hyper-annoying that, given this unfortunate news, someone just keeps jabbing about how "bad" another show is... calls it for the next cancellation (which, honestly, is not a revelation because we ALL KNOW that's a big possibility), and then yet "wishes" otherwise. That wish just doesn't seem that sincere to me. :rolleyes:

Oh, and you're the ONLY person I've seen use the "ReRon" phrase. Seriously, it's not that catchy.

• Members

The soap and soap fan dynamic is absolutely fascinating to me. The complaints I have seen on this show and guiding light I would compare to it being in a vegetative state. I understand it is sad, it is the end of an era and seemingly closer to the end of a genre but has anyone considered a bright side to this?

• Members

Yep I'm sooooooooo gleeful about any soaps being cancelled, cause it means the death knell for the rest of the industry. So let's just keep your presumptions to yourself, unless you're claiming to be psychic.

Finding another show bad is a "jab" or is it only considered that when it's a show YOU like? I may not like how OLTL, AMC or any other soap is written, but I don't wish them cancelled.

LOL ReRon has been used on this board many a time, I think it even originated on this board by a OLTL fan

Bright sides are always good :)

• Members

OMG! I am extremely saddened. Not shocked, but very, very sad. I liked GL and grew up watching it back in the day, but it was never one of "my" soaps like ATWT has been for the last couple of years. The bright side here is that, unlike GL, which was castrated of its first 45 years and ended up being a 72-year-old show celebrating its cancellation by only remembering the last 25 years, ATWT can proudly look back at all of its run with poignancy because even though there have been lots and lots of changes, the show still has very, very strong ties to every single year it's been on the air.

But please. Please. I don't want to lose my mind here, but it's [!@#$%^&*] ridiculous how absolutely paranoid some people are. This is a thread about ATWT's cancellation, not a thread for DAYS and OLTL fans to essentially bicker back and forth about which one of those soaps will be canceled first or which one should be canceled first or whatever. Make a thread for that [!@#$%^&*]. "ALL: Which soap will be canceled next?" Don't piss all over this one because you're worried that your show will be next. It does not matter what's going to be next. If the [!@#$%^&*]'s canceled, the [!@#$%^&*]'s canceled. Twenty years from now, when these shows are just as obscure as The fricken Secret Storm and Love of fricken Life, no one's gonna give a damn if long-lost soap A was canceled three months before long-lost soap B.

ATWT fans, let's have the last laugh here for a while. WE no longer have to play the "Will out soap be next?" with ATWT. OLTL and DAYS fans, you guys have inherited a SHITEOUS headache that will linger on until one of those shows is put out if its misery.

• Members

I don't understand why everyone is predicting the end of OLTL. It's practically tied in HHs with AMC & GH and either beats or ties AMC in the 18-49s. ABC has always sold its daytime soap lineup as a 3-hour block. I think that its numbers would have to freefall before ABC seriously considered breaking up its block. If you lose the show, you lose an important bridge between AMC and GH that could see both of those shows bleeding even more viewers. Yeah, I get all the "it's the only soap left in NYC," "ABC is favoring AMC with the move to LA and the switch to HD" ramblings, but I don't see how any of that signals cancellation. When GH went HD, while AMC and OLTL were left in the cold, was anyone screaming that this signaled AMC's or OLTL's cancellation? It'll probably come in due time for OLTL. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes when it comes to these decisions? Listen, I think the show is terribly overrated. I watch the show and I really don't get all the hype. All I see is the same formula that most of the other shows use: pretty but untalented newbies (and vets in some cases) dominating the screen in trite, ridiculous plot-driven, agenda-driven storylines. I might not love it but a lot of people sure do at this point, and I really don't think that cancellation is imminent.

• Members

If what I said had to do with people making sensible criticisms of OLTL or any show, I'd be making a lot of other responses to other posters here. And no, in spite of your protest, I'm still not able to envision you on the floor in tears over OLTL being cancelled. I base that, collectively, on what you repeatedly post.

Sorry, I haven't caught the "ReRon" catchphrase phenomenon. According to the search here, it was used in about 10 posts between four different users. (20 posts, if we count other posts that quoted those comments.) Some big sensation there.

• Members

The DAYS talk seems more far fetched, but I was just thinking of B&B. I know it's ratings are down and creatively it's not great, but as an hour I do see potential. If they could maintain at least 3 million viewers then they're golden. Also, a big problem with the show is that it has such a huge, mostly talented cast and can't give half of them stories. If Brad got a true Co-HW I could see the show improving as an hour show. Getting great actors like Rick Hearst, Sarah Brown and Lesli Kay is great and now they could actually give them stories.

It just worries me that CBS is going to be down to two soaps. At least then it would be two shows, each an hour. I want to see some kind of faith in their soap lineup. All I'm seeing now is only Y&R within two or three years. The only thing that could save B&B are the international sales.

Archived