ATWT Canceled

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As others have said: not shocking, but very sad. I'd like to be optimistic about what they'll do to wrap it up, particularly given how long they have to get there.

What are some of your wishes for the end? What do you think the big returns will be, if any?

• Members

If there's gonna be any returns then it should only be a combination of iconic character and actor. Larry Bryggman as John Dixon, Rosemary Prinz as Penny Hughes, Patricia Bruder as Ellen Lowell Stewart etc.

I don't want to see some newcomer appear as Betsy Stewart or Andy Dixon or Lucy Montgomery just for the sake of having the character back.

• Members

There is a better chance of CBS launching a brand new soap than giving this hour back to the affiliates. Their overall ratings are too high. When networks give timeslots back to the affiliate it's because they have difficulty programming. Like when ABC gave Port Charles' timeslot back because of their bad track record with that timeslot. At the very least CBS has a game show ready to go and plenty of time to think of something.

Nancy Grace's show is syndicated so it'll air in timeslots where you currently see other syndicated shows.

• Members

Damn. OLTL, last man standing. I feel so sorry for ATWT's cast, crew, fans... It's sad because just YESTERDAY I got an email about a soap opera acting seminar "with the top casting directors from NYC's 2 remaining Daytime Dramas." What a difference a day makes. All of these soap cancellations and the dearth of primetime production (five new shows one season, all five gone by the next) are making NY less and less practical for an actor to make any semblance of a living (to make subway fare!) or to simply be a viable member of the performing arts community. A couple hundred dollars here and there booking extra, U/5, dayplayer (let alone the coveted contract) work, and maybe you didn't have to bust your ass and soul waiting tables that extra night, or you could afford to do that showcase that's only going to pay you a Metro card.

With two soap cancellations in the span of a year, I doubt the folks up top would jump at the bit to expand B&B to a full hour. This just isn't a period for soap optimism and expansion I'm afraid. If anything, it's all about shiny plastic downsized production models and such. Plus, B&B isn't the powerhouse it once was (yes, that could be worked on and changed), but greater than that, I think the half hour format has been one of the contributing factors to the show's history of success.

• Members

I read that Bonnie Hunt's show was cancelled too, and I think the same fate would have met Aisha Ttyler's show had that ever gotten off the ground. Not sure on how Dr. Oz is doing, but I think you tend to be pretty safe if you're under the banner of the big O herself. I don't know what LMAD's numbers are looking like, maybe gameshows are indeed where we're headed. If so, then they really need to step up their game at CBS, NBC's daytime LMAD looks so much more polished than that tired bootleg set-up they've got Wayne working. I know it's a different network, but a 1/2 hour daytime version of Don't Forget the Lyrics (though potentially expensive, music rights and all) would have been so much more entertaining and up Wayne's alley imo.

• Members

Agreed. At least a lot of the important old-timers are still connected to current characters, so their appearances would make sense. It'll be interesting to see what random couples get thrown together in the final months (like, you know Barbara will end up with someone, but who?).

• Members

What a bummer to make the announcement right before the holidays!

Well, I guess the bright side is knowing this far in advance gives the show time to bring back past characters and tie up the stories. I'm a little shocked! After the magazine and internet promos for the Jack killing his brother storyline, I thought P&G was more invested in saving this show.

Archived