B&B: October Thread

• Members

In some ways, yes. B&B is far from alone on this though. I don't know if you watch ATWT, but I couldn't believe my ears when a recently widowed Lily went on and on about how Holden was her strength as a mother and she just could not be alone. She just had to marry another man within two months of her husband's death because that man was holding her family together when she couldn't. :blink: Not only is this woman in her late 30's, but she is rich with an extended family. It's scenes like those that make me think this genre cannot and will not adapt to modern times and must go the way of the dinosaur soon. At least B&B does the occasional "cougar" story. Although that term is pretty sexist itself I suppose.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you. I love that Jackie is married to a younger man (and it makes up for the way the writers treated Sally when she was so head over heels for Clarke and he was initially repulsed by her).

As a WTs fan, I was over Lily long ago. I don't know why the writers won't ever let her be strong and not worry about having a man to keep her afloat. I thought it was such irony that Martha Byrnes ended up writing for the BnB, LOL! She went to write for a show that was much like (worse than?) the one she left.

• Members

The idea of an older woman being desperate for a younger man does seem sexist to me, if its on those terms. If it's not it doesn't have to be bad. The problem with B&B is that they have to go even further with sick stories like Brooke being raped and then this being used to give her yet another (short lived) happy ending with Ridge.

ATWT does go into sexism, but I really think Lily has always been dependent on men. It doesn't matter how rich she is or how big her family is. Aside from some focus in the early years on her relationships with her mothers, almost all of her stories since 1986 have been all about the men in her life.

• Members

Right, but I guess I'm just hoping to see this character grow up. The notion that she doesn't have the strength to mother her children without a man in the picture makes me ill. I could almost see it, if she were some broke 22 year old with no family support (and even then when you have chosen to bring a life into this world you find a way to pull it together, as far as I'm concerned). But here she is with all the money in the world and lots of family support, hell Jack even offered to take her children for awhile in case weak little Lily couldn't handle it. I just find that kind of writing for woman to be pretty insulting.

B&B is pretty sexist as well, I'm not denying that. But it never really strikes me as quite so 1950's. Brooke and Taylor are addicted to men, but you really don't see Ridge making it without a woman for very long either. Stephenie has always steamrolled Eric, even if he's always leaving her for younger women. I guess it's just a different type of sexism, but lately ATWT is grating on me more than any other soap when it comes to these issues.

• Members

I see what you're saying. I guess I think of moments like Ridge dictating that Brooke and Taylor need to go to therapy because THEY are the problem.

I think it's the male characters on the show and their caveman appearance and personalities that really push my button. I would like to see B&B without Rick, Ridge, or Nick. I miss the days of more complex and sarcastic (not camp camp camp) men like Grant.

• Members

UGH! The worst for me is when Ridge is choosing between Brooke and Taylor and he makes them both wait days for Ridge to make his decision. They've done this more than once. I'm always hoping they will both tell him to go to hell. As if Ridge is some amazing prize these woman have to hope they are good enough to win. :blink:

• Members

Today I wish my capture card worked because it could have been a fun show with the Forresters discussing how mentally challenged they are.

But based on the episodes I have seen this month this show is very repetitive.

Brooke and Donna: Katie, Bill is only using you.

Katie: Of course you two believe that who would want me, the ugly duckling (with a figure to diet for).

Bill: I love you Katie, I'm not using you in my fathers vendetta. I want sex.

Stuffy: Oh Owen, you're so hot, I'm so hot, but I'm not a homewrecker so we can't [!@#$%^&*].

Owen: I love Jackie so much but we want different things.

Stuffy: Why wouldn't a granny want to be a mother again, being a mother is the greatest thing imaginable.

Stephanie: I want to sit around and feel sorry for myself and die already.

Taylor: Stephanie, you can't die, what would I do without you? I'd never be seen again.

The Jackie M cheerleeding camp: Stephanie, you can't leave, the cameras follow you but not us.

• Members

Im actually finding Steffy alot more interesting now than when she was with Rick or Marcus. I think she's working as a bitchy slut. All the young Forrestor girls have come across as so virginal and pure. Jessica, Bridget, Phoebe. They almost went that route with Steffy but are going in a different direction. The Forrestors arent good or perfect and Im glad one of them is a mess. Steffy is turning into quite the manipulative trouble maker and I love it. I think this suits her better than trying to play her up as a good girl

Archived