AMC vs. OLTL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's because Burke had a leg up. She not only had history producing Nixon creations, she was an AMC director while Nixon was still active in the plotting of the show. So she knew what old AMC felt like, which, to me, is why she was able to incorporate that more than Carruthers has ever done or ever will do.

But Francesca James was the show's last great show runner.

• Members

That was such a fascinating show. If only they'd had better headwriters.

I guess Burke actually cared about AMC, while Carruthers does not? It's sad how many soap producers now don't care about their shows. And how many proceed to go make dumb comments to the press.

• Members

The problem with Carruthers is that she doesn't have the history to care. Felicia Behr, Francesca James, Jean Burke all held previous jobs at the show prior to becoming EPs. Carruthers has no history with the show and I still don't think she gets what its about.

I don't like to pit Agnes Nixon's creations against each other. They deserve to both live on.

Having said that, let's try to get General Hospital ousted. :lol:

• Members

Agreed tho not as much as Francesca James (she still directs for the show--she should come back--i guess she won't move to LA though). Though one reason Burke's AMC was more Nixonish may have been that shrotly aftershe joined AMC, Nixon came on for her last stint as official co headwriter and did so many great thigns (besides the famolus Bianca lesbian story she created Greenlee and Greenlee's snobby grandparents, Marian wanting to fit into Pine Valley society, all thsoe kinda small touches) Still if Ed Scott wants to replace Carruthers, I'd be thrilled

• Members

urke actually got some decent writing out of Brown/Esensten (on both Loving and City). The first 10 months of City were kidna rough but the last 6 months I thought were good--in fact it was becoming my fave soap at the moment in itslast few months AND it was the only ABC soap at the time whose ratings were *claimbing* not dropping. But by then it had already been canceled.

Carruthers has NO vision for the show. it's true that under her AMC has not had the msot ideal headwriters, but I thinks he deserves far more criticism from fans than she gets--an EP *is* somewhat responsible for the direction the headwriter takes (I mean we know that Megan McTavish is basically a yes woman who is as strong as her EP allows her to be). Aside from that the show has looked like cheap crap unde rher anyway--so WHY is she there? No vision for the show, no direction, and poor production values. Seriously I'd want her out before I'd want Pratt or any writers out--she's had more than enough time to prove herself.

I agree I'd like to get GH ousted first--OLTL and AMC ar emy shows (that said all bias has to be admitted--AMC has been my show since I was 10 and got me into soaps so...) I do think though this whole discussion is kinda silly--it seems clear ABC wants to stop making soaps in NYC and they decided to move AMC not OLTL, sad as that is for OLTL.

Archived