Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The music was too old fashion and the leaves had nothing to do with a light house. I think the opening music during the late 70s should have been more dark and intense.. to signal the more psychological undertones of GL that happened circa 1975 to 1980.

Still that leaf opening with the soft music was loads above the disco opening that Marland and co. opted for. I much liked the 1983 to 1986 theme with the sweeping orchestra and even the more sync version.

• Members

At the time, that disco theme was the best thing to ever happen to soap themes. After years of that snoozefest, suddenly Springfield seemed like a happening place! I LOVED that theme, and the graphics on the first version were VERY carefully chosen and placed, even if they featured 1/3 of the cast. If that theme had been "undiscoed," it could've run for years. And actually the closing was better than the opening.

• Members

I believe the Five Points to Selby Flats transition had to do with a law suit filed by Emmon Carlson, a writer for the show, who claimed he was an equal creator. The original "Guiding Light" series ended in 1946. In 1947, a new "Guiding Light" aired using a couple of the same characters. It was then that show introduced the Selby Flats setting. It's entirely possible at the same time that the show moved to Hollywood.

• Members

LMAO!

Well, it's certainly no club-banger, or even among the top opening themes, but I really love it. Like I said, it invokes something sort of nostalgic and warm. Besides, the whole point was the rays of light coming through the leaves. :P Welp, to each their own! lol