Return To Peyton Place Discussion Thread

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Trauma. They didn't have the mental health services we have now. I always took it as her needed to get away and reinvent herself away from Peyton Place. I could buy her not contacting her family for a few years, then when Return to Peyton Place picked the story up, I would've played those beats and have Allison, Elliot and Connie unpack all of that. 

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

I know very little about this shows ratings and wonder what reaction it got from fans of the original series. It appears many of the roles were recast quickly during it's short run. 

I have only seen one small promo for it surface on youtube. I wonder f the entire run exist somewhere ? More than likely it has been trashed or was wiped by the network to reuse the tape. 

• Members

Would viewers have been happy to watch a story unfold that they had already seen?

I think Rodney was replaced within a few weeks as the actor must have been poor.,

Then Bettye Ackerman was replaced as Constance, Kathy Glass left and Lynn Loring was brought in as Betty.

So really not much more than any new soap.

As for whether that show exists there is a possibility that as a 20th Century Fox production it might be sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

The question always remains as to what happened to overseas copies ? RTTPP played in Australia. Were the tapes destroyed or returned?

• Members

Probably not, @Paul Raven.  On the other hand, because it (the daytime series) was being produced after the primetime series - with different actors, producers and writers - it is likely that the daytime series would have diverged from the primetime one, just as the primetime series ended up diverging from the movie, and the movie from the book.

• Members

It would be interesting to find out if copies still exist of RTPP. I figured a company like 20th Century Fox would be good with their archives, but read somewhere that they no longer have the masters to some of their shows and films. Whey they did a DVD release of the series Room 222 several years ago, the quality was beyond horrible. They had to rely on beat up/scratched up 16mm prints. People on Amazon thought it was a joke.

• Members

I don’t think that would’ve mattered. I feel like this show just didn’t get long enough to develop. 

I’ve read it got better throughout its run and the ratings weren’t bad. I feel like if the show had another year or two it would’ve cemented itself in the NBC lineup. It shocks me they gave up so quick considering it was a name show. 

I always hold out hood at least one episode will pop up. We’ve had shows considered lost pop up in recent years so I keep my fingers crossed for this. I do believe the run is likely saved but nobody will be looking for it. 

• Members

Unfortunately, with How To Survive a Marriage being a pet project plus the line up of Days / Doctors / Another World flying so high I guess they expected more from Return to Peyton Place, despite being slightly higher rated than Somerset. If they had bumped that off instead who knows if NBC daytime had developed differently. Probably not though.

• 3 months later...