Return To Peyton Place Discussion Thread

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's a man on youtube with a page called Obsolete Video and I think if anybody could find it, it's him. He's posted an impossible to find 70s Y&R episode and he's posted color closing credits from the 70s soaps, that haven't been available in anything other than B&W kinescope. As he buys collections I feel he could uncover something.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The talk of James Douglas in the AW thread had me wondering if he was approached to play Steven Cord in RTPP.

Pat Morrow,Evelyn Scott and Frank Ferguson returned which leads me to believe that others may have been approached.

Obviously Ryan and Mia would not have been interested and I can't see Barbara Parkins agreeing, even though her career stalled after PP.

Ed Nelson and Christopher Connelly were getting primetime gigs.

Dorothy Malone seems to have pretty much retired and Tim O'Connor I don't think would be interested in daytime. 

Obviously Ruth Warrick wasn't available.

So that pretty much leaves James. He agreed the following year to AW and then spent many years on ATWT.

Maybe he wanted to be in New York?

Or didn't want to be Steven Cord again?

Or possibly when RTPP began in 72 he wasn't interested in daytime but a slow year could make a difference...by 73 a steady gig may have held more appeal?

• Members

I did see a little of RTTP. Saw a little toward the beginning, but it was very slow and I had never seen Peyton Place, so I didn't watch much. Saw some of Katherine Glass, who was first-rate, as she was on OLTL. She had that waif-like presence which makes people want to comfort and protect her. I knew Joseph Gallison from AW, and liked him in everything I ever saw him play. And I knew Mary K. Wells from TSS, and she was good as always.

Then I saw more of it toward the end, where there was too much talk about "the enabling legislation for the deepwater port," and I didn't figure out if that legislation was a good thing or not. Pamela Shoop was very pretty, and as someone said, she had a Southern California vibe, quite different from Katherine Glass. I liked Charles Sailor as Tom Dana, a good-looking guy, and Margaret Mason was a wonderfully smirky troublemaker, just as she later would be on DOOL and as she later would be on Y&R, and why the soaps didn't keep her around all the time being smirky and evil is a mystery to me. I also liked Mary Frann as D.B. Bentley and enjoyed her subsequent career.

There were elements that could have worked, given more time and good stories. I seem to have seen a lot of shows at the end of their run. I loved WTHI and was crushed when it was canceled; LIAMST was a solid show and I had enjoyed the last year; TSS would have been OK with better writers, and it had Jada and Marla; HTSAM was a mess when it was canceled, having dropped all the original male actors in about a year, and the only improvement was that Armand Assante had stopped trying to speak with an Irish accent; Somerset, after good years under Cenedella and Slesar, was in "let's throw stuff at the wall and hope something sticks" mode; FRFP never really took off though it wasn't bad. RTPP was on that borderline where the network could have given it time or not. Some of these canceled shows were in bad time slots for different reasons, which also hurt.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

A question regarding Joe Gallison.

He joined Where The Heart Is in March 73, a month before RTPP debuted.

So was Steven Cord not part of the original cast?

When did Joe/Steven come on?

Joe was a 'big name' in soaps having been very popular as Bill Matthews on AW and playing Tom Edwards on OLTL.

So what was the deal with Joe joining WTHI and leaving soon after?

Did any of the mags at the time make mention of this?