Return To Peyton Place Discussion Thread

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This commercial was broadcast well into the show's run, not for the pilot. Originally, there were other actors playing Allison and Rodney. Pamela Shoop and Yake Summers (in the clip) were replacements.

The commercials for the debut of the new series featured Constance McKenzie getting a surprise phone call from her long-missing daughter Allison, who had disappeared during the run of the primetime version. Viewers had always longed for Allison to return, and the promos for the opening of RTPP capitalized on that.

• Members

Thanks - I  find the sort-of continuity-but-not-really they did for RTPP and the follow up movies (the last one being a pitch for a 80s prime time soap opera) very odd. I guess Return to Peyton Place didn't kill Allison off, which was a common theme.

• Members

No, in RTPP, Allison remained alive and semi-well, despite being put on trial for murder and being target by her first husband's psycho brother. In fact, the final scene of RTPP had Rodney and Allison on the pier, sharing a romantic moment and planning their future together. It was a sweet way to say goodbye to the series.

Of the two reunion movies, 1985's PP: The Next Generation was much better, with more of the original cast and an original PP writer involved, and if they had to kill off Allison AGAIN, after she had already perished in 1977's Murder in PP, at least her death in PP: TNG was handled in a gentler way, with the implication that Rod and Allison were finally reunited, if only in death.

• Members

Regarding Gallison, there was a lot of press for the launch of the show because of the connection to the nighttime version. Gallison was announced fairly early. Do we know what role his character played on "Where the Heart Is"? He seems to be a doctor so its entirely possible it was a bit recurring role. 

• Members

In my mind, Allison was murdered by Jack Chandler. But I did like how they never properly solved it - of course, mostly because they were probably thinking about possibly re-casting or that Mia would agree to come back - but they made it reflect nicely to what a lot of parents experience when children run away from home; that uncertainty if they're out there alive and well or if they're not, and having to move on despite that uncertainty.

• Members

About the character that Joseph Gallison played on Where the Heart Is:   I understand that the that soap opera offered a role to Carol Roux (Another World, Somerset).   Again, my understanding is that the show was wanting to pair Mr. Gallison and Ms. Roux, who had been a popular couple on Another World.  I don't think that Mr. Garrison's character had much to do when Ms. Roux did not accept the role on Where the Heart Is.

• Members

I thought the way they handled her exit on the original was very eerie and one of the best soap exits I've ever seen. It felt like so many things were happening in her life and around her and I like that she basically just got up and left out of fear of what her life would become if she stayed in Peyton Place. Allison basically did what every soap character should do lol. It was way more powerful than just killing her off.