Y&R: Gay SL's STILL are coming!

• Members

This quote from queen Maria herself in Branco's latest column:

"In an exclusive interview, Y&R’s head writer Maria Arena Bell told Soapgeist that her co-head writer Scott Hamner was misquoted in Soap Opera Digest when he recently told the magazine that the soap never had any plans on telling a gay storyline. “He was solely talking about the Adam and Rafe story — not Phillip or Rafe’s personal journeys,” she asserts. “We’re totally committed to telling gay stories on our show.” Look for more of Maria’s thoughts this Wednesday"

NOW... I TOLD YOU this was some of the typical SOW BULLSHIT, and I was RIGHT. Now, for everyone who poo-pooed me, while I was one of the lone voices of reason when that article came out... I will be accepting apologies and grovelling between 3 and 6 PM tomorrow, Eastern daylight time. Please bring some extra virgin olive oil to anoint my feet with. If you don't mind.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Totally committed when Rafe is a still a bit recurring player and Bierdz is seen like 5 times a month? I'm not believing anyone until it's seen on screen.

Rafe was revealed to be gay, in what, June, and Phillip III said he was gay in what, July? Both characters have rarely been seen since. Don't give me it's a pacing or contract issue s.hit with that.

Remember when MAB also said the summer was going to be filled with romance, fun, and characters that haven't gotten stories would be getting stories?

Remember when she said the crime stories and criminal aspect would be toned down?

Again, I'll believe it when I see it. Especially when neither "gay" character is played by an actor that is under contract with the show.

• Members

I acknowledge that according to MAB, Hamner got it wrong. I can't see how that would make you feel better since goodness knows just about no one, but me ever admits to being wrong about anything on this board. A whole lot of wrong and strong people post here. I would caution you to take MAB's comments with a grain of salt, but you won't, so I won't bother.

I still want to know where is the outrage over the cut away Adam/Rafe kiss.

• Members

I wouldn't call MAB the most trustworthy person either.

Again, where are the neglected characters that she claimed she was giving storylines to this summer? Has the crime and criminal aspect been toned down on the show? I can't say so. Where is the romance she promised us? As Ass_SS acknowledge, what is her excuse for cutting the Rafe/Adam kiss?

I'm taking all this with a grain of salt, since Y&R only goes for plot heavy stories for shock value these days.

• Members

I agree, and we aren't even getting that!

But I still want to why why she created gay characters that the show might never explore, and why both are recurring characters with almost no air time. That all makes it sound like pure shock value to me, her and her henchmen's staple.

Yep, and didn't she say in that interview in May that the "multiple" gay stories would be coming up soon? What is her definition of "soon?" Never or next year?

• Members

What are their personal journeys? They don't even remember that Rafe was trying to clear his aunt of major criminal charges before he asked Adam to inspect his legal briefs. And Phillip is now not even an afterthought to anyone in his family.

This all sounds like feel good hollow nothings. I've heard this kind of talk before with gay characters on soaps.

• Members

Sort of. I really like Rafe. He's actually a good guy (something Y&R doesn't have a lot of) and I'd like to see him come out ahead. Something about the actor works for me and I want to see more of him.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm not saying TB's is the worst actor in the soap business, but I'm having a very hard time warming up to him this time around, so 5 times a month works for me.

• Members

Yani Gellman is recurring and was only used 3 times in August. Since he's not tied to any main character, and he's recurring, I don't expect to see a whole lot of him, ever. I doubt Maria and her henchmen would devote airtime to Rafe's "personal journey" when he's such a small bit player without a contract and ties to any main character.

Bierdz is listed as recurring in the credits, but claims he has a 6 month contract. So, if that expires, will we be seeing a whole lot of him? I'm not optimistic, and I don't blame his endeavours in the art world for his lack of airtime. If Maria and her henchmen wanted to use him more they would. They totally DROPPED his story/character after he came back to town and revealed he was alive. That whole thing was virtually neglected for all of August, and he appeared in only ONE episode in August.

• Members

Thank, Toups... but with this group, I think Kitty Kitty has eaten all the crickets. I was furious at first, then after getting my head put back together, I realized the truth. The thing is, is that it made NO SENSE for Hamner to directly contradict his boss in a national publication and make her look like a lying ass. In this economy? In his profession? That would have been one HELL of a risky move, one even Fronsie wouldn't make.

Archived