AMC: Beth Ehlers Vs. JR Martinez

• Members

It amuses me when soap fans are able to get into the "psyche" of an actor's mind. BE spent 20 years at "the Light." I'm sure she weighed her decision to leave the show pretty heavily. A lot of fans seem to think she woke up one day and said, "Gee, Ricky's going to AMC, so I guess I'll go, too!" She wasn't an idiot. She knew that GL wasn't going to last a lot longer, and when offered between AMC and Y&R, she took AMC, knowing that she wouldn't have to uproot her kids again. It seems like the logical thing to do. I'm sure Ricky being at AMC was an added bonus, but it makes me laugh when fans break it down into a 40-year old woman with two children making a huge career/business decision based on one man that she used to work with.

That's what he said -- backpeddling -- after perhaps he realized how ridiculous it was for him to expect a fellow actor to coach him when he himself "didn't have time" for an acting coach because of his other "committments." He originally did say the following, however:

I understand that Ehlers should've kept her candid thoughts private -- because God knows no one has thick skin anymore these days -- (and I think she was only stating the obvious, but whatever), but it's hilarious that JRM was appalled by her "poor choice of works" and the fact that she made them public, but then he goes around and makes a series of thinly-veiled retorts, and then has the balls to say, "What? There's no feud between us! I don't have a problem with Beth E at all." Well, based on your 'tweets' (or whatever the hell you'd call them), ya do, so don't act all surprised and bewildered when rumors start popping up.

If I was Beth E, I'd be pissed. She signed on to play a legacy character, and it was changed at the last minute. You're drawn to playing against the likes of Canary, Knight, and others in the Liza-orbit, and then you're thrust into a non-existant story with an ex-soldier who is not an actor (by his own admission), never intended to be an actor, and has no real technique as an actor.

I think CP has a thicker skin than others (like the writer). And truth be told, BE's comments are downright tame when compared to some of the things that have been said internally, I'm sure.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well then Beth Ehlers should have seen if there was any options to leave the show once the character she signed on to play was changed on her. She'd have been a better Liza recast than the one we're getting now.

Pratt sucks at new characters and recasts. Look what he did to Reese, look what he did to Liza and so on. Then again maybe Beth is better off not having played Liza

• Members

She didn't have a problem with her character being changed. The concept of Taylor was GOOD -- and Beth liked how they wanted to introduce a tough "no frills" woman in direct contrast to all the "rich and pretty" Fusion girls. Taylor CAN work -- it just takes some effort, some integration, and some story!

• Members

I think Brot and Taylor are equally uninteresting when put together. I also think JR Martinez isn't that great of an actor. The storyline isn't great, and neither are the performances. Ehlers is good, but she can't rise it above the dis-integrated island that's on the paper. The story is poorly conceived, and could have been better. I would even go as far as to say that the story / casting was done (and done hastily) for the sake of publicity - as stories have even aired about it on local news (including here in the Los Angeles area). That may sound offensive, but I'm just being honest about how I feel it appears in hindsight.

It's too bad they didn't make Ehlers as Melanie, Dixie's sister... because the Ehlers could work if she were better integrated into the show's canvas.

I don't find any fault in Ehler's comments. I've heard them and they don't come off as offensive. I'm a little surprised at Martinez's reaction, but I figure he's probably as frustrated as she is. This was an opportunity for him that is probably not playing out as he had hoped.

I respect Martinez for all he's been though and what he's sacrificed personally. But as far as the situation with AMC, it's apples and oranges, and I don't feel that the first circumstance should inhibit the discussion of the other. SOME people - not most, but some - do mix the emotions of the two situations together; it's hard not to.

All that said, it hasn't been working on-screen; Ehlers is actually right about that. If her situation on AMC can be salvaged through revising story somehow, which I actually think it can, then great. I'm not sure if Brot's can be. Whatever happens or doesn't, I wish both of them well.

• Members

I listened to most of this interview(I think I didn't hear the last 15 minutes or so). I had barely heard of Beth before she joined AMC(just saw her at the Emmys and such) so I am neither a huge fan or non-fan of hers.

I think most of what she said came from(and no I can't read her mind, but I am going to guess anyway<G>) just outright frustration. The character was isolated, not integrated into the canvas(and she could have been isolated in a story with Susan Lucci but the isolation was there), then hardly ever on so the character was not fleshed out. If I were not working for 7 weeks I would wonder about my job, too, especially with the state of soaps as they are today. I don't think her goal was to slam anyone, but unfortunately, she might have come off that way. That being said, I think someone with her experience should have had more tact. I think she could have made her points without making herself come off badly(as she obviously did with some).

I adore JRM and I think that considering he has no acting experience at all is doing pretty darn well for himself. I could come up with a few storylines for him and I am not even a writer. TIIC are being lazy here. There a lot of post military type storyline possibilities. However, let's face it-this was mainly stunt casting to enhance a storyline. He probably wasn't going to be long for the show anyway. It was his popularity with viewers that kept him on as long as he has. His tweets were a gut, immediate reaction to the interview and especially being new to the biz, I can understand his feelings being hurt. However, he might have been better off just talking to Beth at work the next time he saw her and not replied on Twitter(which might have sparked the "feuding" rumors).

I think perhaps they should have had Brot come on, done his thing with Taylor(no romance just the "he's not really dead" thing and understand the romance part is over) and then moved on with someone like Colby. Taylor could have gotten with Tad right off the bat and then perhaps down the line end up with Jake(thus saving us from the Gus/Harley 2.0 forced thing).

• Members

And that's all cool. I know that I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to feel that way, or even voice her frustration. My main issue is the way she had to diminish him to build herself up. Defend the woman all you want, people, but that's what she did. Ehlers didn't give JR any credit whatsoever for the effort and work he has put into his performances. She just complained about having to lessen her work to cater to him, likening her work to Shakespere, and his as "something else."

• Members

Right, because ABC was going to let her out of her contract. Come on. Also, where would Ehlers go? There are not tons of acting jobs for a 40 year old ex-soap actress. The woman has kids to support.

Kubla Khan, you are right about some soap fans. I have come to the conclusion that online soap fandom is full of people unable to see the actors apart from the soaps.

• Members

Thank you! It is not BE's job to coach Martinez, and I agree with her wholeheartedly. JM is the epitome of stunt casting, and BE has to suffer through it. He adds absolutly nothing to the show, and BE is not the only seasoned actor in daytime to have to work with a nonactor. Some of these people spend years trying to excel at their craft, and then that amounts to a hill of beans when a writer makes a misguided attempt at making a statement. I'd rather see a real actor with a scar from the makeup department than to have this nonactor wasting my time! JM's time on AMC should have been a guest appearance at best!

As for BE's tact, frustration will do that to you sometimes...

ANDREA

• Members

That's a Chitty attitude. BE is just as much stunt casting as JR Martinez. MacBeth should be thrilled that she was suffering through this stunt casting with this waste of time non-actor... It's the only thing that kept her employed with a paycheck for the majority of the year. I mean, damn. The woman hasn't even made it a year yet and she's already bitching. In the words of Jill Farren Phelps, shut up and do your job. What is it about these Guiding Light actresses. All thinking they're hot $hit. Zimmer, Wright, this chick!

Archived