AMC: Beth Ehlers Vs. JR Martinez

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you !

What happened on screen just seemed to echo backstage attitudes uncomfortably closely

I think RPG is realizing how lucky he was to get a second chance with cs`s Amanda . He stated that he persuaded her extend by showing her positive articles about their pairing and by pressurizing JHC. I think he`s lucky too. ;) but I can`t forgive jake for his dismissive attitude so I can` t root for them

Re the delivery...works much better with Tad, has to be in minute doses with a witty script and not look " studied"

I think it is unfortunate for BE that that hit Daytime Confidential . That reaches a wider audience than Star Dish Radio and it will comeback to haunt her imho.

I know I`m rooting for Tad/ Taylor to flop with every petty bone in my body.

i think a brothers triangle would be horrid . Even with a captivating and sparkly character it would be horrid

And yeah , setting your acting bar to Shakespearean levels and throwing away your pole with some ill advised words ? Not smart

Any pairing with Tad needs as much good will as possible with such a resistant large pro T&D contingent.

• Members

I agree that J.R. is no worse of an actor than many of the newcomers on soaps who imo aren't actors either. Being a model doesn't make them any more qualified. I think Beth's criticism could be pointed at any number of scene partners in the soap biz she could have potentially had but given the unique situation of J.R.'s casting, she feels "entitled" to diss his acting ability when she wouldn't dream of calling any other newcomer out as a "non-actor"... regardless of how awful they were she knows better than to do something like that. And would you look at that, even in this case some sh!t has hit the fan.

In Beth's defense (somewhat), charisma and training/technique are two very different things, an actor can be charming but if he doesn't know how to break down a scene and play actions and objectives that's no good, and I sense that's where her frustration lies. J.R. said that she never offered help, but it's awkward to coach your own scene partner, and quite frankly that's not her job. I don't know all the details, but point blank when ABC hired him they should have set him up with an acting coach. But why bother right, most of their cast members who ARE "actors" probably haven't had a lick of training either. :rolleyes:

• Members

I get what you're saying, but I have to speak out against the "it's not his/her job" defense (in general, not just your post ;) ) when it comes to scene partners -- especially in soaps where you're only viable these days if you're part of a couple. A successful couple at that. It may not have been MacBeth's job to coach him, but considering her actual job is riding on her viability as part of a couple -- any couple, I think she should've taken the initiative to bring him up to her level (I'm trying not to choke on that) instead of just staying in second gear with him. She's lucky she even got that chance, considering the fact that her first coupling -- the reason she was most likely brought to this show -- fell flat on its face. Whose fault was that? RPG's? I am no RPG fan and have always detested Jake, but considering his latest coupling has such ground swell of support (I gag just a little bit)...? I don't mind the comments about her storyline and character not being integrated. It's fact. It's what we see on our screen. But what I also SEE on my screen is a man who never acted before, not only take on a role that reflected his own personal trauma, but did it in the 80 page a day, 1 take only medium of daytime. JRM's response, to me, came across as genuinely, and understandably saying: What the hell did she have to call me out like that for? BE came across as: I'm pissed about my situation but I'll blame the only person who has less pull in this company than I do. I would understand if she did do her best to help JRM along and he just wasn't getting it and got frustrated.

• Members

"MacBeth"-I LOVE that! And of course it's bad luck to say that name in the theatre.

No, I totally see where you're coming from, I don't mean "it's not her job" in the snarky way the lady at the deli counter won't take a second to price your icecream cake because it's "not in her job description", I just mean that Beth's probably swamped in her own life (work, line memorization, disdain for work situation, family) that taking on that extra on-the-job aspect only compounds her neuroses. It's not only difficult, but awkward and not necessarily serving the situation to be giving acting notes to your on-screen love interest. It puts the dynamic of the fictional couple in jeopardy and probably kills any and all actor sparks and spontaneity. I really think a third party (not Darnell), someone to work with him on the side would be a much better help. Beth could have helped by suggesting someone, or just by encouraging J.R. to seek someone out. You're right, it's really HER livelihood at stake, she's the "legacy" soap star, J.R.'s not pursuing this once Brot's in the can. It's an awkward frustrating situation for her but sometimes you've got to say, Screw awkward, this is my life here, and come out of your mouth and say things that are hard to say... AND say them to the RIGHT people, not just sit in front of J.R. deeply sighing or passive-aggressively expressing frustration or going on Stardish, but by laying it all out there to the people who could actually help fix the situation. If TPTB are ignoring her complaints, refocusing that energy by helping and supporting J.R. is really her only viable means of improving her situation. Right now it kind of sounds like, "Hey fans, my situation sucks but it's not my fault" and no one like a whiner.

• Members

Beth Ehlers has been in show business way too long (The Hunger, what what) and soaps way too strong to be this stupid. She certainly has a right to her feelings, and I think what she said about Pratt's writing is what I've been saying about him for years. That she aired what she did about JR Martinez in a public forum is unacceptable, however, and horrible for her, Martinez and surely the set. What a colossal [!@#$%^&*]-up on her part. I think she's lost her bearings due to her treatment at ABCD, but she should've known what she was in for as a soap vet and a woman - neither are valued by Brian Frons or Chuck Pratt. I agree that both she and Martinez will be gone in a year.

• Members

All very true. This is why I was shocked. She used to tell stories about the time she worked with Bette Davis. She's been working for many years.

I loved Harley for a long time but there was such a coldness which crept into her work as the years passed, and as the role got colder and colder, the stories and rumors about her behavior backstage started to pop up. I never know what to believe, but I can't say this has done her any favors.

That set must be a nightmare. Here I thought they couldn't top Pratt trying to blame Eden Reigel for his failed stories and acting like Jamie Luner was going to garrote the cast.

• Members

She's supposed to have a very crazy backstage history, but I never got "cold" off her - it was that neurotic spontaneity that always made her work for me. (By comparison, Gina Tognoni turned hard and cold at OLTL in later years, then went to GL and made that work for her until she became spontaneous again)

• Members

Oh, I can see her saying it. I think she got very used to being one of the centers of GL and is upset since she was promised the same at AMC. That doesn't mean she wandered around behaving like the Wicked Queen, but she was used to the royal treatment and now she's said something stupid when she wasn't.

• Members

The reason IMO Taylor didn't go over well with viewers is how she was written when she first came on the show. There didn't seem to be much likeable about her.

I remember reading she praised Denise Vasi. Yet she disses JRM, who acts circles around DV & BM :huh:

Archived