AMC: Beth Ehlers Vs. JR Martinez

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't even remember them being a real couple the first time around. Didn't he just use her for sex until they could put him with Taylor? He told her she was a prostitute. Then when Take tanked, he was pushed into Amanda's storyline.

RPG is good at playing the Jake qualities, but most of those qualities are what I don't like about Jake (sanctimonious, self-righteous, smug). I think he could be fine with better writing, but that's probably not going to happen.

• Members

What a bitch.

Joan Crawford wasn't "trained", either -- and look at Mildred Pierce. Sure, that was made years into her career, but not everyone nessessarily needs training.... some people just have "it".

For somone with zero experience, JR Martinez is wonderful.

• Members

I'll make it simple. My problem with this is the fact that she takes absolutely no responsibility for the fact that she just simply DIDN'T WOW the writers or the viewers, thereby giving them very little incentive to write for her and Taylor. No. It's the boss's fault for lack of integration and sticking her with a non actor who's stuck in second gear, forcing her to scale back her Shakesperian chops. :rolleyes:

True, the character was a fail from the start, but it didn't help that Beth Ehlers was incredibly abrasive and shrill for the first two or three MONTHS she was on this show.

• Members

I saw instant chemistry with Jake and Amanda. The writers didnt have any real intentions with them and it was obvious that they were a stepping stone for Jake/Taylor. Thing is that he worked much better with Amanda and I wasnt seeing the same spark with Taylor. Those 2, like many other soap couple transplants from other shows, bombed. Im glad Pratt saw his mistake and put a quick end to that by going back with Jake and Amanda and thats been a hit for them ever since.

• Members

This is how I saw it also. I must have missed their popularity with some fans.

This is what makes Jake the perfect Martin. LOL! I am ambivalent about Jake as I am about the Martins. However, I have been surprised by how quickly RPG has made him into a solid character over a short period of time.

It seems obvious that is how Beth was directed to play Taylor in order to play up the friction with Jake. The character did not work, but that is on the writing not Beth.

As is common with the online soap community, this tit for tat exchange with Beth and JR has been blown out of proportion. It will blow over. AMC will dump JR and move Taylor on to Tad, maybe a triangle with Jake, maybe not.

• Members

Taylor has no place with Tad or Jake. She's annoying.

Why can't we get characters we care about back? Skye, Hayley, Brooke? I am so over these new character with no connections to the canvas.

As for Brot, I could see him with Colby.

• Members

Right, like Cliff and Nina. Or Jenny and Greg. (Sorry for the old examples, it's been a long time since I've watched AMC. I'm sure there's more recent ones, though.)

What I'm finding funny about this thread is the posters who spend their time complaining about 'hair models' and lobbying to get people they consider bad actors fired (Tammin Sursok and Amelia Heinle, anyone?) suddenly deciding that Beth Ehlers is the devil incarnate for doing the same.

• Members

So Beth found out the hard way that the grass isn't always greener. I think she thought she was going to take over AMC like she did GL, and instead she has flopped bigtime on AMC. I don't miss her on GL one bit.

• Members

It's perfectly fine for me, as a poster, to complain about Clementine Ford. I would be utterly disgusted with Billy Miller if he complained about her in public. Who is one actor to sit in judgment of another actor's performance? BE should have kept her comments strictly about Pratt. It's not JRM's fault that Pratt can't write and BE is being a total bitch by calling JRM out in any way.

• Members

;) Thank you .

This sums up for me perfectly why I resisted Take as a viewer. It`s bad enough to be told by TPTB who to root for but when actors talk about how their chemistry is effortless and that they aren`t worried at all about recreating it, my hackles go up big time.

Then when Jake was so dismissive of Amanda and dropped her I felt , perhaps illogically, that it was RPG and the show who were passing over CS in favor of BE`s Taylor.

Viewers had watched Amanda for years be treated badly . She was young gorgeous and linked to the canvas through family and she had been given the " breath taking illogically desperate spinster " role that had been Simone`s. Of course we weren`t going to want to see her lose out to a grouchy, rude newbie!

I`m not a huge fan of Jake /Amanda . I like RPG`s natural delivery and they have a sweet chemistry but they are building a fan base and are popular.

Take for me committed the ultimate Daytime sin; they were dull, dull before Taylor`s paralysis and even duller after

I have a feeling that Tad/ Taylor is going to be dull too .Tad needs someone sparkly imo.

I think many viewers will now not be very open to the Tad/ Taylor idea, thanks to that interview.

• Members

I know we will never get my darling Eva La Rue back because she's a primetime star but I so miss Erica having Maria as a rival! To that end, I wish we could get Robin Cristopher back as Skye or Julia Barr back as Brooke. Either of them would be fabulous with Tad. I hate that TIIC killed of Simone. She was great with Tad, too. Why must we be saddled with Taylor? I would rather lose Taylor and keep Brot honestly.

Gina Tognoni will likely return to OLTL as Kelly, but I would have loved to see on AMC also as Skye or Hayley.

• Members

Okay, so let me get this straight. She's this skilled and talented actress who, one, plays down her Shakesperian performances... so much so that her non-actor costar outshines her time and time again -- and two, allows six directors and a team of producers to tell her to play a brand new character with no connections at ALL in hopes of recreating some alleged spark as an unbearable, abrasive shrew -- and she does so? Well, if that's the case, why is she so surprised about her lack of airtime? She should've seen the big bold neon writing on the wall.

You've expressed a large part of what makes me detest Jake and Amanda. They had something going during the late summer, but once he selfishly dropped her for a woman who had very little interest in him, I was over it. Plus, being the lastest perpetrators of yet another Fake Dead Baby story, I was through.

As for RPG's delivery... I won't touch that.

But back to MacBeth Ehlers...

Anything involving Tad/Taylor/Jake is messed up. Tad was wrong for sniffing after Taylor when she was clearly with Brot AS WELL AS knowing that his brother was into her first. Every Jerry Springer fan of the late 1990's (sorry, but I was one) knows that it's Bros before Hoes. And I would view Taylor as such going from brother to brother. Add the fact that I never caught on to this whole Beth Ehlers phenomenon, and this fan will be "beating the drums" even harder than I already am.

• Members

Awww, whatever happened to poor woe its me Beth Ehlers...

LMAO.

Nia Peebles and Beth Ehlers would make great screen partners. I can't speak for Martinez because I haven't seen his work, but at least NP was right about the unskilled Eva Marcille.

Archived