AMC: Beth Ehlers Vs. JR Martinez

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I highly doubt that Beth is going any where. When Christell leaves in a few months they will need a love interest for Jake. They are not going to hire someone completely new. Jake isn't going any where either because he has worked out very well. A triangle with Jake, Taylor, Thad will be irresistible for Pratt. Putting Taylor with Brot was a mistake. Two new characters should never be paired anyway.

Let me add, I have no problem with AMC dumping Brot. I don't find the character interesting and don't see how he is viable on a long term basis.

• Members

Has Jake worked out well? The only time I ever saw fans interested in him was with Amanda. His story with Taylor flopped, and Tad hasn't had any popular stories in years, so I'm not sure how any triangle between them will work.

• Members

I think that Jake has worked out well. He has a successful romance in a couple years which is no small feat on the badly written soaps today. I like Jake's friendship with Angie and his tangles with David. He is well integrated onto the canvas. A triangle with Jake, Taylor and Tad is worth exploring. Jake becoming close to Taylor as he deals with his broken heart causing tension between the brothers is soapy. It very well may flop, but it definitely has potential.

• Members

Some who have posted seem to be willing to soak up any criticism of Beth Ehlers, and enjoy doing so, but if you weren't looking for a reason to dislike her, may I suggest that you listen to the interview on Stardish. There is absolutely NO malevolence in her voice...none whatsoever. Beth pretty much calls a spade a spade, and her word choice isn't always the best, but she just doesn't criticize co-stars. And I see no evidence of a malicious attempt to denigrate JR. It's just not there.

va

• Members

Wow! This isn't surprising considering all the rumors of her at GL, but this is all her fault. If she were a smart lady, why did she jump at AMC and not seriously consider the other offers? It seemed clear she was going to AMC for RPG. That's the easiest thing to do, she doesn't have to move or anything. The only problem is, she's lost all her traction from being such a big star on GL. Now it'll be even harder to find a new gig.

Y&R offered her the role of Patty Williams and it's now a huge, huge frontburner role. Even if she goes too crazy and is written off, at least she'd have a successful year/year and a half role to bounce off of for her next role. It's clear AMC never had plans for her and reuniting a supercouple on another soap almost never works. She also should've been worried when they made no attempts to connect her to ANY family.

• Members

Jake and Amanda failed the first time around and became a hit with fans the second time around. You never know. No one knows for sure how it will play out. AMC should do the triangle. If it does not work, fine. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Members

There's a huge difference between RPG as Jake the character vs. Take as a romance. As a life-long AMC fan, I have to say that RPG is a resounding success as Jake. In the areas that are important -- chemistry with his family members, vision for the character, ability to connect with the audience -- RPG gets as A+. Even when we fans complained about Take, I don't recall one comment complaining about RPG as Jake.

Take as a romance sucked for so many reasons. A good soap romance can't just depend on actors' chemistry. You have to have realistic reason why these two characters would go for each other. And the the character of Harley was sexier and more obviously alluring to men than super-dull Taylor. Jake and Taylor just don't make any sense as a couple. Jake NEEDS to rescue women. He is a freaking Martin! Dr. Joe is the town papa and all the Martin boys -- Tad, Jake and Jamie -- love a woman who needs to be rescued. Whether or not that's "right" or "feminist" is not the point. It's just who those Martin men are. Now if only we could get a decent Jamie, the triumverate of self-righteous douchery would be complete!

You know who Taylor might work against? Adam Chandler. His history with Kwak, Liza, Brooke and Erica shows that he likes a woman who gets in his face.

As for BE's comments, I just have to say -- what a [!@#$%^&*] bitch. How dare she slam a fellow actor and in any way blame him for her lousy story? JRM has natural gifts and charisma, he's been a good scene partner for her, and he has shown tremendous growth in a short time. Would she call that horrible non-actor who plays Colby out on her lack of talent? How about the girl who plays Randi? JRM has room for growth but he's clearly better than those two.

EDIT: Jake & Amanda did NOT fail the first time around. Fans liked them and COMPLAINED when they were cut short for Take. Why do you think TPTB returned to Jake & Amanda?

• Members

ITA. I don't get where all these negative comments about RPG as Jake have come from. Jake has made the role his own and has become a viable character integrated with the cast. He will more than survive the lost of Amanda even if he does not have another hit romance. Sometimes it really is as if we are watching a different show.

Okay. I definitely missed their popularity first time around.

Archived