Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Members

I just don't like Amelia's Victoria. In fact when I saw the previews I thought to myself I really don't care if the character died, she's become so inconsequential.

I agree that JT needs to be back with the younger crowd, though I was slightly intrigued at the JT/MJ scene.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for agreeing... Edge Of Night had some great elements... both Edge (back then) and Y&R right now know how to do darkness RIGHT, as opposed to General Hospital and Guza, who DON'T. Alvin mentioned that he wanted Y&R to be "Y&R", and NOT Edge Of Night. I can see his point, HOWEVER... I've always maintained that what makes Y&R an identifiable brand is in fact, NOT the content of the SL's, but the production values, directing style, bakcground music, caliber of acting, and pacing. That's why I think Vanguadrian, as an Edge Of Night fan, didn't notice the similarities until I mentioned it. That's another reason why I think it's easier to forgive writing snafu's on a show like Y&R, because if you have quality in every other aspect, it makes any writing shortcomings easier to take. It's like if you have a cake, and your child has dipped his fingers into the icing to taste it. It doens't look perfect anymore, but it still tastes good. But if the cake underneath is made of Ca-ca, no amount of re-icing can cover it up. I guess some people think the WRITING is the cake, but I disagree, I think the production is the cake.

• Members

:lol::lol::lol: Perfect line!

I would have fought you to the death on this. But Nick has now been so sacrificed...what the hell. Bring it on.

Because CE chose to leave, I am over him. Totally. I enjoy these last weeks, but can't wait to see what the new guy does.

LMAO at the Lane line :) .

Honestly, I suspect I'd still find him very fine. I can separate the man from the sh!tty character.

I hope so too. It didn't seem that was how they'd go yesterday (when she ran to GCAC to fight for him, per Daniel's advice). But I'd like her to totally separate from him and shaft him.

I love your list! Yes, thank you for reminding us about the REAL Bill Bell Sr., and not this sanctified version that people here like to right about.

Yes, yes, yes! I was hoping the negative posters would respond to that, but they just glossed it over. That year by the way (1979) was one of the ALL TIME BEST!

Agree on the twisted darkness.

Remember when Margaret Laurence cited that Scottish superstition? "A bird in the house means a death in the family".

Amen!!

I think Alvin started that rumor :lol: . But Nelson Branco reports otherwise:

"Sources close to Gina Tognoni say that the Emmy winner is thisclose to signing a contract with One Life to return as Kelly Cramer Buchanan. "She turned down two offers from CBS soaps," says an insider. The buzz is the other two soaps were Y&R and B&B. Is this a bad move on Tognoni's part considering One Life may not be on the air in three years? "No, she wants to stay in New York with her new husband," continues the mole. Look for the actress on the ABC soap sometime later this fall if all goes according to plan."

• Members

Since I wasn't alive back in 1979, like you old folks, :P how could I address a year of the show I didn't see?

All I know is, the Y&R I've been watching from the late 80's/early 90's has never been totally consumed by illogical darkness all at once. Bill Bell's darker storytelling was a hell of a lot different than his daughter-in-law's.

This show is losing its storytelling identity, and I hate it. Y&R is not a crime and mystery soap.

• Members

So true! :lol:

People are just desperate for this show to be good again. Desperate. Which really says a lot about the devotion its fans have to the show, and about the fans themselves! :lol:

It's so fun!

• Administrator

Don'tknow about hte decade but I do think it's better than LML's era and MAB's first 7 months.

I am enjoying the majority of the show:

- MJ

- Adam/Ashley

- Phyllis/Nick/Sharon/Jack

- Cane/Nina/Philip

- Mac/Billy/Chloe

I actually can't wait to watch the show everyday.

• Members

I'll own that. I am old...and feeling it today!

But seriously, 1979 was this AMAZING year. As a 14 year old boy, it was total perfection. Suzanne Lynch gaslighting Kay (and drugging her)...Kay going to a sanitarium that burned down and being presumed dead...Kay gaslighting Suzanne (via "haunting") thereafter...Chris Brooks kidnapped by Rose Deville (white slavery ring owner) and almost killed...Liz Foster shot by a mafia hitman that was gunning for her son Greg...the endless Lucas-Lorie-Lance-Leslie quad. It couldn't have been much after that (1980?) that Vanessa Prentiss faked her murder by committing suicide (she had a terminal illness) but first framing hated daughter-in-law Lorie for her swan dive off a balcony. And within a year, Victor Newman came along and put his pregnant wife's lover in a DUNGEON. His pregnant wife, Julia, lost HER baby falling down the same staircase as Ashley!!

MAB is chanelling the Y&R of 30 years ago. It was a time I loved very much. Remember, within two years later, Patty Williams was going crazy, shooting Jack, having amnesia about it...

I actually thought Bill Bell's later years were NOT his strongest. I remembered one of his last major stories being Nikki insta-marrying her GYNECOLOGIST...who promptly had a psycho-stalker wife (there's that darkness again!). But it gave Kay Alden the chance to start with the amazing Victor-Nikki reunion and Diane Jenkins divorce.

Bill Bell--I am convinced--would have been VERY pleased with much of what is going on right now. Plot driven, gothic, kinky, but those are my favorite memories of some of Bill Bell's best days. Y&R was so strong at this point, CBS had him go to an hour!

Yup.

ETA. No, :lol: is the new :), not the other way around.

• Members

Well, I guess I'm one of them. I own that too.

To be very clear...I am agreeing with alphanguy79 that the dark, gothic nature of the stories this summer are not at all discrepant with the summer of 1979.

Archived