Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^With the art story I agree, but with the others not so much. With all the contract dilemma's I'm going to cut her some slack. She has no idea who's staying/leaving so there's going to be some major tweaking and whatnot. I just can't get behind your intense dislike for this woman. She might not be the best writer, but LML was/s a writer and sucked. Ditto many others. However, on MAB's own merits she's doing a good job.

• Members

The budget cuts are something to keep in mind. Look at Melody, she was meant to be on frontburner until they had to start phasing her out. We still don't know who the next big star on the chopping block is. This could end up being a rough year. As for that art story, it doesn't work because it's being presented in such a plot driven fashion. Even the business stories aren't about lipstick. They're about relationships, power plays and the conflicts that arise. I don't see this story as being about anything or anyone I care about. The characters involved are all plot points. Anyone could be thrown into this story and it will never work. I hope they see the overwhelmingly negative response and just drop it. I truly think it is that bad. I'd say the worst soap story this year.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 14 2009, 06:55 PM)
The budget cuts are something to keep in mind. Look at Melody, she was meant to be on frontburner until they had to start phasing her out. We still don't know who the next big star on the chopping block is. This could end up being a rough year. As for that art story, it doesn't work because it's being presented in such a plot driven fashion. Even the business stories aren't about lipstick. They're about relationships, power plays and the conflicts that arise. I don't see this story as being about anything or anyone I care about. The characters involved are all plot points. Anyone could be thrown into this story and it will never work. I hope they see the overwhelmingly negative response and just drop it. I truly think it is that bad. I'd say the worst soap story this year.

Is that because of the art story, or the overall writing? I think the main quad with Shick, and Adam gaslighting Ashley have also been heavy on plot points instead of characterization. I think with everything going on backstage this may simply be easier for them.

• Members

The art story is more specific because it's never been about exploring any of the characters or enhancing them in any way. I don't know what it's about to be completely honest. At least with the Quad or Adam stories you can see what they're attempting and they sometimes convey that. With the art story it seems like they had no idea where it's going and simply needed something to throw at these characters. The little conflict given (JT/Victoria) I highly doubt will go anywhere. EVERYONE is shoehorned into this plot which is why it's such an epic fail, IMO. Even with the reliquary certain characters had purpose in that story.

Archived