Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Members

I think it's pretty obvious now that Mary Jane is Patty Williams (not a spoiler, just from watching). However, if you were a non-online viewer do you think it would be quite that obvious?

In other news, where is everyone seeing all this character propping, plot driven, and agenda driven writing? The only time I notice that is with Tyra/slightly Fishers, but the Winters are rarely on as it is. Is it because you don't like the character or story, that there must be some crazy agenda from TPTB behind it?

Other than that, overall good week. Minus the silly art stuff, and I can't see MAB making it reliquary since she HATED everything LML did (plus it was acknowledged on the show). Standouts this week for me were Elizabeth Hendrickson and Stacy Haiduk.

I hope the discussions for next week here are less depressing tho, or else I'm pulling a brimike and checking out too (not making a big thing out of it, just saying).

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With Lily, I am talking about the writing not the acting. Lily is written as someone with a good heart & good intentions. If CK fails to bring that to the screen, that's a different story. Also, during the days of the Billy/Lily/Cane triangle, we always knew that Lily's heart belonged to Cane. With Sharon/Nick/Phyllis, who the hell knows? It changes every second. Fidelity of the heart is even more important than physical fidelity in a romantic story. This is romance basics 101 -- and it's been this way since the first romantic stories were crafted and song/told by the first storytellers. People forgave Isolde for cheating on Mark because her true heart belonged to Tristan. Y&R's writing team's need to be "sophisticated" means the show is just a daytime version of Melrose place -- Fickle Lovers and Crazy Crazies. The fans and the legacy of Bill Bell deserve better than that.

• Members

Except that this is really a bad comparison. True, Melrose had tons of couples and triangles and quadrangles and what not. But the writers made you buy it all and you believed pretty much every pairing. Amanda was first in love with Man No. 1 - you believed it, Man No. 2 - you believed that, too... And so on.

Here... Atrocious "storytelling" and romances. Atrocious. Completely shallow and artificial.

• Members

Well, MP was... Fun. When it was good, it was gooood, when it was bad, it was baaad. It had tons of problems on its own, but couples and love intrigue was one of the better aspects of it.

Anyway, what I fail to grasp is: 1. Are these writers aware of how much these stories suck? Can someone be that blind or in that much denial? 2. If they are, and by they I mean Maria actually, why doesn't she get professional help? There's a vast universe of talented writers who would accept the job and make her life easier. Why is it so difficult to admit Hey, I'm wrong, This isn't going well and try to rectify things... Apparently, one of the reasons might be that some fans are happy with the show. But given certain Maria's and Hogan's and Scott's tendencies, one just has to be realistic and ask: how much longer before this train plummets even further? This whole it's good for two months and bad in the next four roller coaster ride is terribly annoying and will eventually become too frustrating leading to tune outs.

• Members

She has to be in serious denial to think any storyline involving art would be interesting to viewers....

And people rationalizing this storyline because Deacon, a character that only has ties to Amber and is such a B&B character, might come on this show? :lol:

Why do I care about Deacon when longtime vets are being asked to take paycuts and might be written off?

• Members
Which fans are happy outside of Nelson Branco and the 5 or 6 suck-ups at Daytime Confidential? Nearly every Y&R board has been fairly down the show. The ratings after trending up are now trending down. And I'm one of the fans who can find some bright spots on the show. Y&R is good compared to other soaps but it's certainly not the show it can or should be.

Archived