Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hear you, but then again I never was specifically talking about you.... Don't know if that makes a difference. :lol: Maybe it's the psychologist in me. :lol:

I'm not sure how I can articulate this correctly, but I'll try: All I know is that Y&R fans have been whipped with crap for what seems like eons now (some of Alden, then Smith, then LML, then early MAB which was perhaps worse than LML (!), but the memory of how the show was is still very much alive in most of the fans that watch.... not that that memory is not there for other soaps. But the Y&R vets are still there, the music, the sets, basically everything. So that's a constant reminder of how things used to be... and fans--and I doubt you'll disagree--really want it to be like that again. So MAB comes, thinks up the Kay/Death story, or whatever, and things improve greatly--but only in comparison to how things have been this decade! After LML, of course MAB is the Queen of All Soaps! If we were accustomed to Bell's writing, and then suddenly got MAB, she would be so totally hated. I'm not sure if my point is coming across. This is not telling somebody how to think or feel. It's basic psychology--there are exceptions, and that's great if you are one of them. But people do overlook a lot of crap because they just want to. They're not delusional. They just want to.

Yes!

Ruxton, out of curiosity, which of his stories do you think were bad? :)

• Administrator

Well, I think I'm done with the non-episode discussion. I didn't get sucked it for a couple of weeks, but for some reason I did today. Bad Toups.

Okay, I'm back to only episode discussion.......the more episode talk the better it is for the thread. ;)

• Members

One last bit of non-episode discussion from me: AS a psychologist -- degreed, member of APA-- I fully acknowledge the kinds of contrast/comparison results you mention. We see it in social comparisons (e.g., when I compare myself to someone I perceive to be better or worse) and temporal comparisons (I compare myself to a time in my life I considered better or worse).

We also see it in perceptual comparisons (e.g., the historical work on the Just Noticeable Difference was all about the minimum perceptual comparisons we could make -- and that requires having (for example) a higher versus lower frequencies).

So. you're ABSOLUTELY right. Part of the affection for MAB, I guess, could be due to disappointment with the recent prior regimes.

But what people are saying in this thread is two things that that argument ignores. FIRST, on objective "evidential" merits, there are many good things to be had right now. SECOND, on comparative grounds, there are ways in which this show compares favorably even to Bill Bell's Y&R.

That's not just 'hope'. That's not just Tinkerbell-clapping, really. It is, however, a legitimate difference of opinion.

Now...I'm gonna go watch the episode.

Archived