Y&R: Week of June 8, 2009

• Members

Oh don't get me wrong I'm sure MAB oversees all ideas and ideals before even applying it as a directive to the stories but if that is correct maybe unfortunately for her she's giving these two way too much credit. Especially who-ever would be holding reigns now- if and only if my theory is correct of course

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my problem with the whole Adam gaslighting story. They want us to believe that Adam doesn't really want to hurt Ashley just Victor and Jack? Yet sometimes Adam seems gleeful over what he is doing to Ashley and at times guilty. I really don't get Adam's motivation in going this far. It's not like Victor wouldn't have a replacement for Ashley in six months.

It was bad enough we had to buy skipping some meals would make him lose weight in his ankle and that apparently there are no surveilance cameras at the ranch, but we also have to believe that a man with limited sight could climb in and out of windows, never seen by anyone and even able to hitch a ride to town to terrorize Ashley in the hospital with the person who must be getting him the botox. By the way, how much sight is lost with the botox injections? That seems to change from one show to the next.

But now, apparently Ashley has miscarried. So what happened to the fetus, the bleeding and cramping associated with a miscarriage, and the fact that Ashley could die from an infection if she does not receive some medical care? And yet we should sympathize with Adam because he didn't really want Ashley to fall. What did he expect to happen confronting her on a dark stairway dressed as Sabrina? Now he happens to know a doctor who he can blackmail with information provided from his friend with benefits that we saw on maybe three shows before she was hacked up and buried under Nikki's horse.

Ok, so now we have a women suffering a miscarriage, maybe carrying a dead fetus inside herself, being treated by a doctor who sexually assaulted his female patients. Someone is hitting on all the nightmares of women. What's next, cutting open Sharon's stomach to steal her baby.

This story is so contrived even if it is creepy. Now as some have speculated how is Adam going to convince Ashley that she is still pregnant. She had a small baby bump. And is Sharon's pregnancy going to be SORASed so that they can do a baby switch. I hope not because that would make no sense. Not that this story makes much sense. If they wanted to do that they should have waited for Ashley to lose the baby further along.

I am watching this Adam story and agree it is creepy, but it is also like watching a train wreck.

• Members

Actually, by "compare favorably", I meant "it gets close" not "it exceeds". But if I think about the period -- really from August 2008 -- there have been so many stupendous moments, character moments, stories. I'm not saying everything was great. No way! For example, the Kay-Marge greatness (e.g., funeral) descended into Clint Radisson and the Chipmunk.

I don't think the trick is to duplicate Bill Bell. I think -- and this is what the team is achieving, IMO -- is to write a modern soap, with modern conventions, but remain true to the characters, history and situation of Genoa City. I personally feel that is being done.

Eh, no

Janice Lynde crazy :wub:

Steady Eddy! That's what we called him in Toronto! I remember he had Nikki captured, and he was taking her home to meet mother. Nikki was actually hopeful mother might help free her. But then Eddy lead her into a cobweb-filled room, with a shrine to an urn. And Nikki was introduced to the urn.

"Your mother? THIS is your mother?" wailed Nikki. Meanwhile Eddy had put a fireplace poker to heat in the fireplace. He turned to promiscuous stripper Nikki and said, brandishing the hot poker, "I'm going to purify you, Nikki".

Edward had a bomb, as I recall. Nikki broke away after flinging his mother's ashes in Edward's face, causing him to crumple and scream. As Nikki was trying to escape, Paul/Danny/Jonas broke in and helped her. Then the apartment (I actually remembered house next to Nikki's) exploded, and Edward perished.

Sure 1979 sucked. And I guess 1981 did too? Yup. Okay! All I can is that I and many others still remember these entertaining, twisted, creepy, exciting days. And for the first time since this era, I feel Y&R has recaptured some of this fun.

• Members

LOL, I guess I'll rationalize these aspects, at least.

Adam is a punk. And he tried to go directly after Victor and Jack before and failed miserably. For now, this is his most effective mode of comeuppance.

He must've stopped injecting himself at this point. There's no way he'd be able to pull off that stunt where he dressed as Sabrina walking around in the dark. In fact, I've noticed now when he spies on people via his laptop, he doesn't squint at the screen as he used to. And how would he have seen the blood on the floor, in the dark, to wipe it up? If these are missteps, they're really big ones. Way too obvious.

I never sympathized with Adam. Ever. He needs to pay. I'll always be on Victor's side. Sue me LOL. The only reason why we're seeing Adam's reactions to Ashley's suffering is so that he doesn't become the boring one-dimensional villain. I like that he feels slight remorse and can go right into lying to Nikki/Ashley and blackmailing the doc.

I do agree with you and the fact that Ashley has a dead fetus inside of her and the ramifications of that are being glossed over. I was shocked today when I heard that she miscarried because it's just so outlandish to me that she'd fall, consider it a nightmare, and believe everything Adam is telling her. I mean, call your goddamn brother, woman!!!

• Members

What modern soap is this? Nothing on this show is unique or innovative and nothing that hasn't been done before and done better. If you consider drama about women who think their inferior without a man contemporary, return from the stories contemporary, gaslighting contemporary, etc, but I don't.

I think many characters are being butchered, so I don't know how true they're being written. I can hardly look at Neil, Nick, Phyllis, Sharon, Jack, Ashley, Jill, and many others with a straight face anymore. They've all descended into being poorly defined and their integrity has somehow been taken away from them. Truly shells of who they used to be.

As for respect for history, how quickly we forget the vasectomy fiasco of a year ago. Just today too, Adam said he had gotten letters and discussed with Skye the unethical behavior of this doctor who allegedly coerced her and sexually assaulted her. However, that wasn't even mildly implied when we met Skye for a few episodes last year, and I think it would be too big a thing for Adam and Skye to just brush under the rug. Is Phillip's return from the dead also a respect to history when we saw him die in his hospital bed?

• Members

Her outright refusing to listen to Jack about going with him and Olivia obstinately pushing therapy on her and/or Ashley pushing Olivia away so much purely plot driven. Today in the scene before Nikki and the doctor came in where it was Adam standing in the living room with Ashley sitting I didn't see him faking his blindness at that point he was looking right at her or was it just me? Many holes in this story and I think the show and CE made a booboo there

• Members

She's not the only one. Look at Billy. He came on the scene in September and in that time he had been with Amber, Lily, Chloe, and Sharon and is pushing hard for Mac. Jack's going directly from Phyllis to MJ without seemingly taking a shower had a definite "ick" factor to it. But of course, "Two is his limit". He has also been with Sharon a few weeks ago.

And nobody seems to use a condom except, ironically, the 16 yr olds, Noah and Eden. And of course, they also had the public service announcements by Josh Morrow (please) and Tracey Bregman (most airtime she had all year) about responsible teen sex. How ironic. The teens are the only ones on the show having responsible sex.

Archived