GL: June Discussion

• Members

Yeah, Carl...I agree, GL does better at doing the little things. As much as I've come to detest Reva, even the stuff lately between her and Josh is funny.

And thank God Liz Kiefer is getting more screentime lately. I swear, she's getting more airtime now than in all the years since Ross died combined. She's the only thing that's making the Otalia bunk tolerable to me. I covet her...if there's only one actress ATWT can snatch from GL, I'd want her for a Molly recast.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So many good responses today.

brimike, I did naively assume they might have a good ending, because I thought some of the special episodes (like the one about Irna Phillips) were good, and because the show seemed more balanced since late last year. I guess the hurtling towards idiocy and darkness shouldn't surprise me, but it does annoy me, because they're just slapping fans in the face. Fans don't want to see this type of depressing stuff when an institution ends. Who the hell wants a show where it seems like only people like Mallet/Marina are likely to get happy endings?

Ruxton Hills, India was such a crucial character to Phillip's life that I did think they might have her return at some point, to take the mick with him and Beth at least. There are so many I hoped to see one last time, but I guess the best we'll get is Ed, briefly, and then Mindy a few more times, and not to forget "Manny" (I do like Danny, but not with Michelle). I just hope at some point Mindy says, "I'm moving back to Springfield" because Mindy was a big part of the show for years and now most new viewers probably don't even know her aside from her tagging along in 4 Musketeers scenes a few times a decade.

PJ, all the Blake screentime has been one of the best parts of GL's final months. Even better I think she's being written true to her character, she's not too mopey, or too overly comedic, or too pointless, which has been her modus operandi for years now. She's close to what Blake should have been at this point in her life, even if Ross is no longer with her. I guess she'll end up with Frank. I was one of the few who didn't have a problem with that but after the past few months I'm not sure. I think if Natalia ever gave him the hint he'd drop Blake in a heartbeat.

• Members

Yeah...I wasn't too fond of crazy-blogging/Jeffrey-screwing Blake. I think TIIC might have gone Blake/Josh, if it hadn't gotten cancelled.

I know they can't work everything in...but I'd like to hear mentions of Henry Chamberlain and HB before the end. And see Holly. She's the one glaring omission in the back-for-the-finale brigade, IMO.

• Members

It is weird, I have always loved Marj, but I hate Marj's Alex...I dont know why but the two dont work well together. I did love Joan Collin's return as Alex....that was as close to Bev Alex you could get though with a sex kittenish twist. JC gave us the idea that this woman was a globe trotting glamour woman, but someone who had to be reckoned with...she brought back that feel to Alex that she could be your best friend or your worst enemy. The writing was on her side, as I did like Marj for the few episodes Taggert wrote her..I just dont think that after all this time, Marj ever jelled with the rest of the characters...she is so used to playing the dragon woman that I think it is hard for her to play those layers that Alex had. I just wish they would have layed Alex to rest once Bev left..that was like recasting Reva, I think Marj would have been great as a Lewis who married into the Spauldings, or they found out H.B. had a wife and she got all his Spaulding stock, etc...kind of like an "Unsinkable Molly Brown," type character. Of course instead of wasting Mary Stuart on the sweet grandma role of being Manny's sounding board, I would have loved it if they had made her come back with a ton of Spaulding stock to give Alan and Alex hell all the time. Stuart and Dusay would have been hilarioius looking horns.For what it is worth, I hate RR as Alan more then I do MD as Alex...his Alan has always been a blustering wind bag..both Alan and Alex should have never been recast.

India coulda/shoulda been filled the Alex void...her character was sophisticated, witty, manipulative but not evil. They had her going out with Alan for a while at the time of his heart attack. They should have had Alan have a heart attack, India marries him on his death bed and then its an Alex/India brawl for control...ah, I could fan wank all day on the missed opportunities these idiots passed by.

On Lillian, I always thought she could have married Ed and become the new Mo, but I really think that the fans would have gone balistic. She really didnt "cause," Mo's death more then Ed or even Mo herself did, ( I always thought that it screamed PLOT POINT that Mo would leave her daughter to go sulk at the Bauer cabin..another lost opportunity was that Mo should have lived, left Ed, took over the Boardinghouse and adopted Bridgets baby...later to remarry Ed and have him discover that his child was Roger's grandson...) I hate that they have thrown Lillian into Buzz's orbit simply because they are the same "age," but I dont hate it as much as when they had him and Alex actually"date," (ugh) and he and Holly, WTF was THAT about?

I can't believe that a non entity like Ashley would be a larger character then Blake in the shows dying days, oh, yes, I can...that is why the show is dying. An exploration of Blake after Ross died would have been great....especially as she tries to pull her family together to survive. I think one of Wheeler's may [!@#$%^&*] ups out of many was the decision to promote the Coopers in the place of the Bauers, especially with Ross and his family ready to go. I mean, how many married couples on soaps have three kids that are all theirs??? Especially since they could have sorased the Marler kids into teens...why bring on Rafe and deage Susan when you have three kids that are from legacy characters that can be aged. I will simply never understand Wheeler's line of thinking (though the lack of carbs probably hinders her judgement) and when people defend her after foul up after foul up I see red.

• Members

I hate to admit it...but I felt letdown by day one of the last Bauer BBQ. Yeah, the Rick stuff was kind of funny, and I liked seeing Mindy. But today seemed to be all about Natalia and James.

• Members

And that PISSED ME OFF!! I think we all assumed that Ed would be returning with Danny and Michelle, but NO! I really wanted to hear Peter Simon give the last toast, although Michael O'Leary did an admirable job IMO. Hell, if I wanted to watch Danny and Michelle alone, I'd... wow, lol, can't even FINISH that sentence with a straight face.

• Members

Well, compared to last year's bbq, this one is a lot better. I expected to see Ed at the BBq too. Are all these returns going to be cameo guest appearances? Are Danny, Michelle and Mindy here just for the BBQ? Are we going to see Ed again? It sounds like he turned Phillip's case over to the Drs. at Springfield hospital.

• Members

When they had Ed all but say he wasn't going to be at the barbecue, I knew he wouldn't be, but I still feel let down. I don't know why they couldn't have him attend. Or bring back another Bauer besides Michelle. I don't understand why the cameos are so disjointed. Don't they have the money for someone to return for more than a few days? If they're going to do this can they have a lot of people return? These last few months are going to be depressing, it would be nice to have some old faces again, or at least give Vanessa and Billy more to do, dammit.

Sara Bibel has her ups and downs but I agree with her on this.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-holiday-tradition/

I waited years for Phillip to return. I wanted to see him kicking ass, taking names, and wooing women. While his relationship with his children is wonderful, Phillip has not been the driving force that I expected. Killing him off when the show is ending is a depressing “screw you” to the fans. This being a soap there is always the possibility of a miracle cure, but there will be weeks of depressing scenes in the meantime. I suppose it’s possible Phillip’s illness is a metaphor for the show’s demise, but it’s not entertaining.

Guest dc cubs

In the last SOD it was stated that Peter Simon was asked by GL to come back for the Bauer barbecue. However, Simon had a prior personal commitment and wasn't available the dates the barbecue was filmed.

Archived