Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

Can't they fake it? I mean, this is Hollywood. I'll bet, if he was respectful and constructive with his concerns, they could have filmed this in a way where there was no actual contact.

(But I guess Y&R has to be careful, since all hell broke loose after the camera panned up during a Nuke kiss under the mistletoe. So, I guess they do have to show the "bona fides", or it will get bad).

Well, we'll see. If this is true, Adam will be recast. And that has a 50-50 chance of working.

But the writing for Adam has bothered me for weeks. Even from before "can you get me the stuff?" to Frank. I hated how he got dumb with Jack. I hated how he got whiny in prison. So whiny that I cheered for TGVN when he pointed his finger and said "ACT LIKE MY SON!"

Since the botoxing started, I hate how he has used Heather (no matter what, she did nothing to deserve this), and I hate how he has harmed Estella and Ashley. Especially Ash, who was nice to him.

At some level, I'd like the character to just disappear at this point. I have NEVER been on board with a "dark Adam". Not for a SECOND. The only Adam I want to see is a smart guy, who can get by on his wits, and who constantly straddles the Hope/Victor line in his own mind.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I want to remind everybody that NB was never crazy for Chris Engen. He would always write how this or that actor would make a good Adam etc. We have no idea what has happened backstage and why CE seems to want out. Not everything has to be about activism or playing a gay scene, etc. It sounds like Y&R planned to make Adam David Kimball 2 and not Adam Carrington 2 :(

• Members

Yeah, but even if they wanted to write him as Kimball, then it speaks volumes to the unprofessionalism of the actor if he decided to quit (and possibly ruin his career) because he didn't like what the writers were writing. That is not artistic integrity.

No agenda on my part, except I'm sorry if we lose Engen, and if we lose the "Adam Carrington" version of Adam (I didn't like Adam Carrington either...but the character at war with his two natures...that I wanted to see).

• Members

Yup. This isn't a creative dispute. It's a legal one.

And yes I know I'm making a harsh judgment but his quitting like that smacks of the overreaction of a closet case. Although I agree with everyone who said MAB should've discussed this with him first.

Of course, Nelson's the one breaking this news so I'll be interested in another take on this situation.

• Members

What about Y&R or the soap world screams artistic integrity? Most of the characters are written with little or no integrity or consistency. Adam has been an enigma because the writing has been so bad for the character. For all the love that you throw MAB's way, Y&R is nothing, but a mish mash of characters engaging in random actions with little or no explanation given for their behavior.

• Members

That's not in dispute here.

Even if MAB is total sh!t, and the show is a random mish-mush every day...that's irrelevant.

What I am saying is this: If the script says "Today Adam f*cks a hog", then Adam f*cks a hog. Done. Period. And if tomorrow it says "Adam licks TGVN's dirty feet", that's what Adam does. Period.

(Well, I guess he could object to the hog-f*cking on legal grounds...animal cruelty...but you get my point).

What I'm saying is, if Engen says "I believe hog-f*cking is immoral, and I am quitting to take a stand against hog-f*cking", well, that is not a stand from "artistic integrity". In part, because, I actually agree with you--who said Y&R was art in the first place??

Moreover, it just hurts Engen! He loses his job, and he's barred from other jobs. He should just f*ck the hog, and if he hates the job, he should hope they write him out soon. Period.

• Members

Well isn't the television industry about "selling out," as you so put it?

Playing devil's advocate, maybe Engen doesn't want to be typecast as "the gay" or "the gay villain" in future roles. Is there something wrong with that?

Or maybe he's seen the way rabid gay fanbases of these shows suddenly latch onto these couples/flings and all of a sudden blur the lines between fiction and reality.

I mean, I've seen the guy's mySpace. I think he also has a girlfriend and a kid. Who would want some psycho fan to harass you and your family?

• Members

Again, everything you say makes sense.

BUT...if Y&R plays hardball, this could really jeopardize his career and kid more than anything else. I mean, we don't know the details, but in a HARDBALL situation, he could have a 3-year moratorium on taking other jobs AND be liable for damages. That's a helluva pill to swallow!

I totally get what you're saying. It makes perfect sense to me that he might say "I don't like where this is going...I didn't sign up for this...I don't want this". I get that. He may be completely right. But he's got to make sure he doesn't totally screw his career in the process.

• Members

LOL! I had trouble following this post. I'll point out Chris Engen also had the option of quitting and getting on with his life. He likely will settle things with Y&R and go find another job, maybe as an actor or doing something else. It does not feel like a sky is falling event.

• Members

Yup. Now the lawyers get involved.

If he quits, they'll recast the role, and the show will bubble along. But the actor will surely experience some negative consequences. Hopefully he perceives these negative consequences (which could mean not working as an actor for the next few years, and possibly having to pay damages) as less negative than staying on the show, getting a paycheck, and playing what is written.

• Members

I love reading Nelson, but I was wondering if there was more to this story.

Perhaps it really is something as mundane as: he pulled a sick day one too many times. Y&R canned him.

Archived