Another World

• Members

I always thought that Irene Daily and Audra Lindlay has so much in character.  They may have not looked alike but their voice was similiar and Irene was a great recast.  I know there was another actress between them.  I often think people cant change but seeing it in my own life.  Lindleys Liz was definetely not nice and did not like Mary & Jims children but maybe Liz really did care for them and after Mary Matthews passing away she stepped up to the plate

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She probably just figures anyone can return from the dead on a soap (and it's not like AW is going to return, much as I wish it would). 

I wonder sometimes how she must have felt when Jake was moved away from Paulina for good, romantically, especially as this was around the time she had gained weight due to her pregnancy. 

I've been going through old tapes to get rid of - a lot of AW Soapnet episodes, no hidden treasures, sadly - and was reminded once again of how much I connected with Cali Timmins as Paulina. Wonderful as Judi was, if I had been watching AW in those years, consecutively, I think I would have had a really hard time accepting Judi in the part. 

(going through them also reminds me of just what a fantastic cast AW had in the late '80s and early '90s)

• Members

In terms of "endgame" couples, I prefer Jake and Paulina to Jake and Victoria, regardless of his mortality (btw I think dead people can be the loves of one's life, it is just a lost love).

Besides the issue that Jake raped Victoria's sister, had an affair with her mother, and their strained relationship over the conception of Steven, I think Vicky and Jake were always better as friends than lovers.  It seemed like they were each other's "plan B", when their real loves didn't work out.  From the very beginning, Jake preferred Marley, so the sudden retcon that he always had eyes for Vicky from their time as teenagers seemed absurd.

Paulina and Jake had one of my favorite types of romantic soap stories (under Cali's portrayal), an outsider couple whose love comes from a mutual respect for their cunning intellect when one-upping each other.  Their constant bickering in the first iteration of their affair was amusing and it saved both characters from their recent plot-driven actions which could have soured the audience to enjoying these cads.  But then, under Judi's portrayal (which might as well have been a different character once she stopped wearing those 90s Alaia bandage dresses), Jake grew to appreciate Paulina as a partner not just an object of lust and adoration. 

So, aside from the fact that as always we've made a whole meal out of one line from an inconsequential interview, I think of Jake as Paulina's true love because they grew the most as characters during their paring.

• Members

I never liked Joe as a character and was always confused with why Paulina was with him. Paulina had such a spark with Jake. I felt her and Joe were just boring.

Vicky's "endgame" should have been with Ryan. PMV should have been brought back. With Ryan back on the force, Joe would be unnecessary. 

• Members

Joe was too much of a brute for me, and I always felt that went against who Paulina was attracted to. She always took me as the type to hate bossy men because we saw her take issue to being bossed around by Jake when he tried to do so. One moment that sticks out to me is during the last month of the show and Paulina was claiming she killed Grant to protect Joe, and Joe responded so harshly by telling her to "shut up." In that moment, I wanted Paulina to throw Joe under the bus (even though he wasn't the killer) and let him take the wrap. 

Going back and rewatching a lot of soaps, I find myself wincing at a lot of these ultra-masculine characters on a platform that is and has always been targeted to women. I don't know who found these characters appealing or thought they'd be good romantic leads but they weren't. 

• Members

As someone who watched AW back then, I never bought Judi Evans as Paulina. Someone on this board mentioned Evans should have played Nancy and I like that idea. I also had no interest in Jake and I wish he had been murdered during the who shot Jake? storyline. I know rapists get "redeemed" or "romanticized" on soaps all the time, but I was done with Jake after he raped Marley. It just made it all the worse when Wheeler came back and they turned Marley into a bit of a whackjob so they could prop up Vicky and Jake. 

I found joseph Barbara more attractive then Eplin so I didn't mind Joe's nonsense especially if he were shirtless. Hypocritical I know.

• Members

I'm dipping in and out of Alan Rickman's diaries (Madly, Deeply) and was surprised to come across a brief entry mentioning being a guest of Beverly Penberthy in Rye just after Xmas 1995. There's not a lot of context in the book but based on the imdb I gather they met making the movie Judas Kiss

ETA: Actually I find they met earlier:

Edited by Xanthe
More info

• Members

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I heard Days is introducing a Cass Winthrop who sounds a lot like the one from Another World. So far he's only appeared off camera in a phone call, but I imagine it could lead to more. On one hand I'm not sure why they wouldn't just bring the actor back as Julie's brother. I also wonder if P&G would allow them to use the character in a bigger capacity. Certainly an interesting choice for a random easter egg though.