• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I had no idea that someone else had joined us! YEA

https://www.facebook.com/booradley51

Directions to the Another World Fan Bench in Central Park, NYC:

Enter at West 72nd. Go to the the fountain on Cherry Hill. Take the middle path (the path due north) toward Bow Bridge. The bench is around the lake near a willow tree, down near the water that is Duck Pond, on the walkway. Across Duck Pond are many trees & Manhattan beyond them. If you reach Bow Bridge you have gone too far

If you have any questions, I'm your gal! I just got this from a fan who asked me to help her understand the directions last month! Today she sent me this!!

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Tonksadora
Enter at West 72nd

• Members

I apologize if this has been posted, but I'm always up for a backstage glimpse during that era when soaps ruled the world. I can't quite make out the date at about five minutes in, but I think it says "Thursday, Oct. 21, 1982."

Edited by Franko

• Members

OMG! At apx. 3:00 the voice over narrator said that for her work on it Victoria has won an Emmy. One of the travesties of my life is that neither Victoria Wyndham NOR Beverlee McKinsey ever won an Emmy! Nominated 4 times each. Ran against each other twice. Lost out to "Aunt Liz" Irene Dailey! I am verklempt.

• Members

Reading the 1978 recaps on that thread made me think about how much they futzed with Sally and Cecile's ages.

In 1978 Blaine is moving to Bay City to begin her romance with Jamey.  So, we assume that Blaine and Jamey were both in their early twenties, because Dennis was a college sophomore.  At the same time, Sally is clearly a teen with a crush on Joey Perrini. 

Then by 1984, a couple of marriages and pregnancies later, Sally is dating Peter Love and her romantic rival is Cecile who seems to have been de-SORASed into that plot because she was probably older than Donna if they had aged in real time.  I mean Cecile was editing Brava while Sally was still a kid in boarding school in 1979.

It never ceases to amaze me that as much I as enjoyed MPK's Sally, the character has no connection to who she was as a teen.  Caitlin was supposed to be the rebel who was corrupting good girl Sally.  Meanwhile, she's already been engaged a few times, had a kid, and had been a wild child. while Caitlin had only had the one romance with Brittney and was falsely imprisoned prior to Bay City for defending a lady.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Sally had been married at least once, hadn't she? To one of the Hobsons maybe?

It struck me in the Kyra Sedgwick clip that they were obviously trying to reform Sally starting with Dawn Benz who seemed much prissier than Jennifer Runyon. Also kind of wild to hear her say one moment that she is taking things slowly with Peter and the next moment that she is probably going to marry him. (Did Sally ever sleep with Peter?)

When Catlin first came to Bay City he slept with Maisie while he was living at Smiley's and of course with Donna after he became her stableboy. He used to hint to Sally about his shameful past and it was only after some HW turnover that it became the sweet innocent monogamous tragedy of Brittany. 

Jamie and Dennis really had their ages messed up as well. Cecile popped in with the more matronly set but Jamie and Dennis dropped down to become contemporaries of Marley and Victoria.

• Members

Oh, really? I always thought that Jamie & Dennis were older than the twins. And, I thought Lisa was older than Vicky but not as old as Dennis & Jamie. I cannot imagine Jamie being the same age as, for one example, Ben McKinnon. And his being a doctor argues for his being older. Of course he'd also been a novelist but that was another lifetime.

• Members

I know it's not always significant, but IRL Jim Poyner is about 14 years older than Chris Bruno. In fact Chris Bruno is a little bit younger than Jensen Buchanan.

I think it gets murky by the era of Russell Todd, but maybe I am biased because Stephen Yates' Jamie seemed closer to 30 than 20 and then Laurence Lau seemed a hair younger and both Lisa and Vicky seemed younger than MJ or Cecile or Blaine. 

I should clarify that I wouldn't argue Jamie and Vicky were meant to be exact contemporaries, more that they were in a kind of vague flexible cohort of twentyish people. I'm not sure there was a teen set again until Matthew was aged up to Matt Crane. (Daniel Dale didn't have a set and Sandra Ferguson went right to Cory Publishing and Sam.)

In some respects,  possibly the blondness, Dr Jamie Lau felt more like a retread of Chris Chapin. Don Scardino was I think playing a bit younger than his age to date Nancy.