Another World

• Members

I forgot that Chad was still pimping when he first came on the scene. It makes me so angry that MJ had to absorb so much guilt and shame but Chad didn't really have to accept much blame and none of his other "girls" were really treated as people. I guess he felt some guilt when Dawn was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS because of his role as a pimp but since he wasn't directly responsible it felt like it was just to his credit as a flawed but human man that he had feelings.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do remember Sara and I liked her. I know she didn't go anywhere, but I thought the actress (Missy Hughes) was interesting. 

I wonder if the show intended for another character on the canvas to end up being her relative. With all the writer turnover on that show, it probably just got dropped. 

• Members

Sara was around from October 1986 to October 1987. Rose started about the same time and apparently lasted only until February 1987. Margaret DePriest was the headwriter from March 1986 to January 1988 so it wasn't writer turnover that doomed them. 

According to the AWHP Sara went on a date with Jamie at one point so it seems like they made several attempt to attach her to core characters but gave up. The only thing I remember is that Rose was a widow and Sara's father's death might have been related to her estrangement from the family. Oh, and Sara had a boyfriend Joe who was either no good or just someone her family disapproved of.

Missy Hughes later married Hank Cheyne but in the mid-eighties she was apparently in a relationship with a guy who subsequently became involved in a conspiracy to commit murder and insurance fraud. I remember reading the story in I think Vanity Fair.

• Members

I found the story because something about it rang a bell.  It was a famous Weho murder because the guy ran a well known store called Just Sweats.  Antonio Sabato Jr starred in the TV movie about it titled "If Looks Could Kill" and Oprah featured the story in an episode about unsolved crimes.

https://www.bardachreports.com/murder-hustle

While he was at Studio 54, Hawkins met Ilanna "Missy" Hughes, a tall, blonde actress and model who was featured on the TV soap opera "Another World". Several of Hawkins's closest friends refer to Missy as his great love. Their relationship bobbed along for four years and almost solidified into marriage several times. 

The first Just Sweats was launched in Lexington, Kentucky, the hometown of Ilanna Hughes. Missy came in as an investor, while her brother signed on as manager. Another store, in Columbus, Ohio, became the business's headquarters. Within a year, Just Sweats exploded into twenty-two stores, half in Ohio, half in Kentucky, and was generating a staggering $8.5 million in sales.

Please register in order to view this content

Isn't funny how a comment about a minor character can turn into an evening's worth of internet searches?

P.S. According to CBS News Hawkins was released in 2014 and now counsels trouble youth...

Edited by j swift

• Members

The movie is on YouTube, and while I didn't see Alexandra Wilson, there is a credit for Jocelyn Seagrave aka Julie from GL https://youtu.be/cpl2PxkSel4

Please register in order to view this content

Someone on social media recently said that Gen X'ers only use the internet for sleuthing about crime, and they weren't wrong.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Alexandra Wilson's credit was shown at the start of the movie. I think she appears to work in the Just Sweats office and give John phone messages. Why that is a bigger/better credited part than Amanda I could not say.

In a scene that starts just after 49 minutes in he seems to call her Christy.

• Members

On the lines of minor characters, I always liked Dee (Katie Rich) in the mix with Cass, Felicia, and Wally. I see how she was really a temporary character because of Tony (the tuna). 

What are people's thoughts on Nancy (Jane Cameron)? Most of the time I found her to be annoying, but I did enjoy her relationship with Tony. I thought they were a good couple. I think it would have been nice if Nancy had been around during a lot of Marley's traumas, especially her rape, and to see her thoughts about Rachel getting together with Carl after their history. 

Edited by Melroser

I always liked Dee too. I wish AW would've done more with her. I liked her friendships with Nancy, Marley and Thomasina.

I really liked Nancy. She had a bit of both Ada and Rachel in her. But was her own person as well. I thought getting rid of Perry and later Chris were huge mistakes. Nancy had great chemistry with both of them.