Another World

• Members

Richard Culliton is writing for Days nowadays, isn't he? I can see him using the name as a throwaway as well as wanting to write for the character. Maybe the best joke would be a fakeout mention of Cass as a prelude to reintroducing Steve Schnetzer as Steve Olson.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I haven't watched Days in years (other than to show my mother a short bit of Doug when I heard he was around) but I looked it up to see how it played out. Short version: Abe takes a call from someone called Cass speaking for the Salem city council. Later he calls Cass back and his wife Paulina (played by Jackee Harry) takes the phone and addresses Cass as Mr Winthrop. There didn't seem to be any reason why they would need to see or speak to Cass Winthrop again.

• Members

AW is my show. I don't like the idea of throwing out an AW reference to pander to the audience. Maybe it's just me, but I find it cheap. IF P&G were actually going to let them use the character, that's one thing. We know they won't and I don't want Ron & Co. anywhere near my AW characters! To me, the whole ATWT fiasco never existed. To use Jake, Vicky, Cass, Lila, et all to try and get viewers tuned in just to kill off Jake and Vicky was inexcusable. It all taints the show. AW and its actors deserve better. 

(Much like bringing Laura Leighton onto the Melrose Place reboot just to kill her off. Yes, I'm bitter! And I digress...lol).

• Members

I was reading the retcons thread and thinking about how frustrating it was to watch MJ change from a college-educated eldest child detective to a failed singer and secret ex-prostitute middle child without a degree who was demoted to uniformed officer, and it struck me that maybe it would have been less jarring to give the prostitution story to the character of Cheryl. I'm not saying that I necessarily think Kristen Marie would have been right for the role and that storyline, but that if they had cast for it they could have played out a similar storyline without ruining an existing good character. 

• Members

I haven't seen it yet but I think it's fun that the writers had Abe take a call from a Cass Winthrop. It was nice call back. I don't understand why some people find it upsetting. As a soap fan, there is a lot to get upset about in the 15 years, but a shout to Cass? I'm glad they did it.

• Members

@chrisml I agree

One of the ice-breakers that I use annually is having people tell the story of how they were named.  At least 2-3 people usually mention that their parents were inspired by a character's name on a soap.  While I've never met a Cass, (or a Catlin), there have been plenty of Rachel, Erica, and Marleys.  So, maybe this fictional Salem City Counsel member's parents were just AW fans, and it was never meant to be the actual Cass.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Marley, really?  I imagine these were people born roughly during Ellen Wheeler's first tenure?  I always have to remind myself that she was originally a successful enough character for someone to think she should have a twin sister, before...everything that followed.  I've seen all of Heche's run (at least once, thanks to SoapNet) and bits and pieces of the time Jensen was playing both roles, and I'm afraid I can't see naming a child after the character. 

I assume these were not Gen Zers born during Wheeler's return!

• Members

I take your point but you can't necessarily tell by when the baby was born when the mother was inspired by the name. She could have liked the name in 1985 and then named the baby somewhat nostalgically 10 or 15 years later. Or they could have liked the show later and just thought that Marley was more distinctive than Victoria regardless of how much they liked the characters.