Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since the image of Robert that is stuck in my mind is of his anger and hatred for Iris in which he destroyed a portrait and a bust, I had a hard time thinking that he might be sentimental over his love for Iris. Looking back over the AWHP synopses it seems like Robert was used more effectively during a short return in 1980 to introduce his soon to be ex-wife Olivia and to make a bit of trouble for Clarice by asking to have contact with Cory. (Iris had already relocated to Texas.)

• Members

This was basically a convenient re-write of history.  First, Robert and Iris had parted on extremely bad terms around 1975-76, and their marriage had never been very stable to begin with.  So for Iris to tell Robert (in 1989) that he had been her favorite husband was ludicrous.  In "real" history, Iris's favorite husband would have most certainly been either Alex Wheeler or Brian Bancroft.  And Robert Delany would likely have been her least favorite!!  But again, this was a convenient re-write of history.  The rationale was likely to give Nic Coster something to do during the reunion episodes, since he had agreed to return.  Robert's true love on AW, Lenore, did not return -- Susan Sullivan had been invited to appear as Lenore, but declined.  Although Sullivan did attend the Anniversary cast party in New York.  Had Sullivan reprised her role as Lenore, I'm sure 90% of Robert Delany's scenes would have been with her, and he and Iris might not have even crossed paths.    

• Members

Logically, I know you're all in the right, and I do think Brian would have made more sense in this role (if Paul Stevens had still been alive), but I was just glad to see someone in Iris' corner, and I thought Nic Coster and Carmen Duncan worked well together.

• Members

Alex had to have been Iris's shortest marriage.  So, he may have been her favorite by default because he adored her, never did anything to disappoint her, and he fathered Dennis.

I would say Elliott was her least favorite, but I never forgave him for slapping Iris on Texas when he found out that he didn't sire Dennis.  However, it would have been fun to see him at the party with Alice. 

Brian would have screamed if Iris had compared him to Mac, (as she did with Robert in this scene), given how much he wanted Iris to find her independence.  I also doubt he would have ever sympathized with Iris's scheme to takeover Cory Publishing.

So, Robert makes sense by default, especially given his own complex relationship with his father and their family business. And perhaps he mellowed toward Iris over time, especially in comparison to Olivia.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Since Carmen Duncan's Iris was so different from the Beverlee McKinsey Iris he had married, perhaps that softened his heart.

Did Robert have any interaction with Russ or Olivia (the daughter, not the wife) in 1989? I was thinking after reading over the 1980 synopses that it would have been nice to make that connection and possibly even address the question of whether Olivia (the wife) had been able to have children after all.

• Members

Judith Barcroft had originated the role of Lenore and may have returned if asked, but I guess as she hadn't played Lenore when Robert was on, they felt there was no need.

All the return characters, I think, were from the Lemay era, which makes sense as he was writer for a significant amount of time and when the show was most popular.

With Robert back, they could have brought back Clarice and used it as an opportunity to bring his son Cory on, now a teen. But there never seemed to be much interest in looking to the past, except when Lemay returned and set some things up that Donna Swajeski followed through.

Did Beverly Penberthy return in 89?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I feel sure Judith Barcroft would have returned as Lenore for the 25th anniversary episodes.  And she certainly was a good enough actress to have great chemistry with Nic Coster. But as you suggested, TPTB probably didn't understand that, and assumed it should be Susan Sullivan or nothing.   

You are right, all the returning characters were from the Lemay era.  And there were several actors invited to appear who declined. I believe those actors included: Maeve Kincaid as Angie Perrini, Leon Russom as Willis Frame, Susan Sullivan as Lenore Curtain Delany, and Christopher Rich as Sandy Cory.  So -- that leaves Sandy Cory as the only "invited" returning character not from the Lemay era.  That really illustrates the contribution and influence Lemay had on Another World, even a decade after he first left the show.    

Yes, Beverly Penberthy returned for the anniversary.