Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I caught the tail end of The Unfaithful on TCM today and Eddie Muller mentioned that Ann Sheridan had appeared on Another World. I know she has been mentioned here but I don't think her name came up when we were considering the most famous actors who had been on the show. I will have to go back to the novelizations to see how much impact Katherine Corning (Missy's mother) had.

• Members

Katherine Corning and Missy played a similar storyline to AMC's Myrtle Lum and Kitty.  The plots were similar, but of course Katherine and Myrtle could not have been more different.   It's interesting that Agnes Nixon chose to repeat on AMC, several characters and/or storylines she had earlier written on AW.

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

Missy had already been set up as an orphan by Irna . She loved adoption stories, right back to Guiding Light on radio.

I wonder if she had a character in mind as Missy's mother and Agnes followed up or Katherine was completely Agnes' creation?

Looks like Ann Sheridan signed on for 6 months, so they killed off the character. Would it have been better to keep Katherine around?

• Members

I'm not sure Katherine should have stayed on the show, after the initial plot.  AW was already playing Liz Matthews and Helen Moore as the rich older ladies, so I doubt they needed a third.  Still, I would not have killed-off Katherine.  She might have been used later, especially on Somerset.  Perhaps on Somerset, the presence of Katherine (even if recast) would have made Missy more interesting, and led to a more lengthy and successful run for Missy on the spin-off.  I understand Missy was rather boring on Somerset with little written for her, other than a failed romance.  

Agnes recreated several characters from AW on AMC.  And some of them had been originally created by Irna Phillips on AW.  Missy Palmer (Kitty Shea) and Liz Matthews (Phoebe Tyler).  Obviously, Phoebe was more extreme than Liz.  Linc Tyler was Bill Matthews with a new name and face.  Agnes also re-used some of her own creations from AW on AMC -- Rachel and Ada / Erica and Mona are the most obvious.  

• Members

Yes, Helen was Lenore's mother.  Originally, Helen and Lenore were introduced to the show as quite wealthy.  Somewhat more wealthy than Liz Matthews, although Liz was fairly wealthy herself.  Helen was a widow, and friends with millionaire Katherine Corning. And I believe Helen and Liz were both instrumental in Katherine being introduced to the show.   Both Helen and Lenore were created by Agnes Nixon, so I assume Nixon also created Katherine.  

After Nixon left AW, the next head-writer (Robert Cenedella) downplayed Helen and Lenore's wealth a bit, allowing for the close friendship between Lenore and the middle-class Matthews sisters, Pat and Alice.  And when Harding Lemay became head-writer, he downplayed their wealth even more, writing Helen and Lenore as themselves middle-class (or perhaps upper middle-class).  Lemay also downplayed Liz Matthews' wealth, when he brought the character back to the show played by Irene Dailey.  Although he still wrote Liz as somewhat wealthier than Jim and Mary.   

Obviously, Lemay had plans to introduce his own wealthy characters, Iris and Mac. So that might explain his choices with Helen, Lenore, and Liz.   

As far as I know, Helen Moore never had a storyline, other than a brief flirtation and a date or two with Jim Matthews, after Mary died.  

Edited by Neil Johnson