Another World

• Members

I enjoyed the storyline with Dee Evans, as a strong character, good actress, and I liked the Tony the Tuna business. I especially enjoyed Cass's occasions when he would bring Krystal with a K Lake out & do his drag.

I also liked Nancy. Now that I know about it I like the fact that she was named after Nancy Wickwire. I never found her obnoxious although I think sometimes they wrote her to be so. She was a good friend to Perry. And in a couple I liked her with Chris. I suppose she would've been against Carl. Absolutely everyone was, after all!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They did show Dee with an unrequited crush on Cass. IIRC Kathleen saw Dee kiss Cass, misunderstood, and broke up with Cass without telling him why.

I feel like going any further than that with Cass and Dee would have been stretching it too far. I liked Dee but I have a hard time imagining Cass with her. 

• Members

She was living with Thomasina and Carter for a little while. They could have done something with that, either involving her in the drug storyline that both Nancy and Carter were tangentially involved in or making her a spoiler in Carter and Tom's marriage. 

Nancy was shallow and immature a lot of the time, and when she had the teen group to hang out with or Ada to butt heads with she had something to do. When she was at a loose end after Perry's death they kind of made it part of her addiction storyline but they didn't do a good job of integrating her into another group. I  think it hurt her that Chris and Greg and Tony were all outsiders and also probably that they were mostly rich and/or professional so that there wasn't much conflict or character growth.  It could have been interesting to see her jealous of teen princess Amanda if they had kept her around.

• Members

OH! No! I would've hated that. I'm glad that got dropped.

Please register in order to view this content

Oct. 15, 1997, Felicia was accidentally knocked into a skylight after getting caught up in Alexander and Carl’s fight #AW #AnotherWorld I will never forget that scene! Horrific.

• Members

Another World Memories

#NBCAnotherWorld

#OnThisDay Oct. 17, 1995, Carl had a dream of Ryan, furthering his suspicions of Grant being Ryan’s shooter. This episode was the last appearance of Paul Michael Valley as Ryan Harrison, ending a 5 year run. He would return in 1996 for a guest run as Ryan’s ghost #AW #AnotherWorld

• Members

I always thought the bookstore setting was such an odd fit for the show. Maybe it was the set itself. I just couldn't see someone that was supposed to be as glamorous as Felicia Gallant spending her days schlepping books around a bookstore. Felicia never worked for me when they tried to make her the everyday gal (i.e. her romance/marriage to Zane).

• Members

Although I hadn't considered it until reading @Melroser post, I would offer an alternative opinion.  I think a bookstore fits historically in the context of soaps (ATWT had a bookstore for years), as well as accurately depicting Walingford's contemporary times with the rise of huge book shops like Barnes & Noble.  Also, given that Cory Publishing was one of the big employers in town, it would make sense to have a book seller that could exemplify the economic underpinnings of the company.  

However, I agree that having Cass and Felicia running the shop was a poor choice for the characters.  Cass was never portrayed as valuing entrepreneurship, and I believe that he would have eaten raw sewage before he got into customer service.  Felicia was a romance novelist who never studied literature or consumer trends. 

Being the managers of Wallingford's felt like another attempt to domesticate these two characters who had previously been celebrated sophisticates, but at that point were being given random twentysomethings to parent.  To me it is one of the shames of the 1990s that urbane adult characters who initially eschewed traditional family values, suddenly started dressing in neutral tones and, traded get-rich-quick schemes for building established roles as community leaders.  What an awful non-aspirational message that mature love means giving up champagne and feathers for a sober life spent dishing out relationship advice to ungrateful young adults.

Every soap needs a communal space, and it always feels fresh when it is not a bar or a diner.  Perhaps, if Matthew or Amanda opened a store to sell Cory's books it would have seemed more natural and lasted longer.  Felicia could come by for book signings, the store could have been the site of publishing parties, and Pat could pop in to see that Brava was being given primo shelf space.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Don't forget Constance MacKenzie's shop on PEYTON PLACE. The idea of Cory Publishing having a lobby-mezannine bookstore is brilliant. I wish they actually had done it. Think of the subtext whenever characters come "to read."

For whatever reason, Paulina comes to mind as the manager. Or if they did it back in the Laurence Lau era, Jamie (rather than have him be a doctor).

• Members

O

Oct. 25, 1990 Jake raped Marley after she asked him for a divorce. He said she loved him & he would show her. She fought him off but he overpowered her. Later, Jake had been shot.

AW Halloween costumes

In case you have any interest ...

• Members

Today I learned that Camille Paglia was a big fan of Beverlee McKinsey and used to take notes of dialogue on AW that amused her in the 1970s. Apparently she once met Elaine Kerr who had played socialite Loretta Simpson in 1975 and quoted a scene at her.  

From a Salon article in 2008, the section on AW is after a long discussion about contemporaneous politics:

https://www.salon.com/2008/05/14/tarantella/