Another World

• Members

I asked a question about the first actor cast as Reginald, either here or on another platform a year or so ago.  Someone supplied the name of an actor, but I've forgotten the name.  He was a famous Broadway actor, and I believe was later criticized for playing an Asian character on Broadway, though he is Caucasian.   Maybe that will ring a bell with someone.  I would recognize the name, but it is not coming to mind right now.   

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Jonathan Pryce?

I don't know if these are the hands of the original actor or a stand-in. The voiceover doesn't sound English (or like John Considine) and indeed sounds like it was dubbed in post. But this is the earliest Reginald/Vulture scene I can find.

Edited by Xanthe
wrong video

• Members

It was always interesting to me that AW hired both John Considine and Lewis Arlt to play two different roles.

Arlt's first role as David Thatcher was relatively short, but memorable, given that he played a key role both in the lives of Sally and Donna and was part of the introduction of Marley.  So, it was surprising that six years later he was cast Ken who, of course, introduced Paulina.

I never recall who was in charge during which story, but one suspects that separate production teams hired both actors twice.  I would hazard to guess that they were either available for the right price at the right time, or their auditions out shown their actual performance.  But it remains a quandary why those two were chosen twice.

• Members

There is a surprisingly long list of actors who had more than one role on the show. 

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/previous.html

A lot of these are  very minor, but of course there was also Robert Kelker-Kelly as Sam and Bobby/Shane. Stephen Yates was Marianne's boyfriend Chris years before he was Jamie! And I had forgotten John Bolger was Dr Spader before he came back as Gabe.

Edited by Xanthe
Alternative to Sam

• Members

And, correct me if I'm wrong but Ken wrote for the show, too.

Dipping back into Ben territory I would have recast & gone for a ginger. MJ red head, Kathleen red head, Mary red cast to brunette, Cheryl strawberry blonde, Ben a ginger!

Edited by Tonksadora
red hair

• Members

Yes, that was the name.  As I mentioned, I was told about a year ago, that he was the actor cast as Reginald who worked one day in the studio, then unexpectedly quit because he could not handle the pressure of daytime TV.  I do not know if this information is true, but Pryce is the only name I have seen associated with this issue.   This story (without naming the actor) is also told in John Considine's biography.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I have heard a few different actors to tell this story, about someone unnamed working one day & not being able to hack it & just not coming back the second day. Erica Slezak tells about her father freaking out over the first days' work at OLTL & worrying he wouldn't be able to continue, but he did. And then when Joan Collins was working at GL as Alexandra she was amazed at the first days' work but she kept it to herself & just dug in determined to do as well as the regulars - and she did, too, and for 3 months! She said what we all know & that is that daytime works harder than anybody else.

• Members

Thanks. It wasn't clear in the memoir whether Considine knew the name of the actor or not. He cites both the pace of the work and green card issues as reasons the first actor was replaced but I take Considine's version of events with a grain of salt because he also describes with relish how Anne Heche [in character] slapped him in their first scene when that was still Ellen Wheeler as Marley.  

If your source is reliable that's very interesting, thank you. I don't think they posted publicly here in response to your question. 

ETA: Jonathan Pryce is playing Prince Philip opposite Imelda Staunton as Queen Elizabeth in the next series of The Crown.  In 1986 he had already starred in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Edited by Xanthe
Autocorrect gone mad. Starred, not started.

• Members

Almost certainly not here. I remember seeing your question and being disappointed not to see any response. And then when you confirmed the name I ran a search of the forums and found no discussions mentioning Pryce except for chat about Game of Thrones and The New Pope.

I am now driving myself crazy trying to tell whether this newspaper photo from the August 14th episode (the day of Zane's funeral) shows signs of a hastily corrected

Please register in order to view this content

Jonathan Pryce. John Considine talks about having to shoot 5 days' worth of episodes on his first day. The first airdate we see his face as Reginald is August 8, the preceding Friday so it's possible this was within the 5 days. I'd love it if Ellen Wheeler confirmed that she had to slap both Jonathan Pryce and then John Considine for the reshoot.

• Members

This is a video list of Anne Heche that I curated for a dear friend & fan of AH's Vicky Hudson. I'm posting it here, now, in case anyone wants to go by it to watch a lot of special AH legacy videos. It is not anything about the wreck or her death or the current fight over her estate. It is not anything about Ellen DeGeneres. It is a lot of AW & this & that. Enjoy.

DWTS All 4 dances -wk1 chacha wk2 foxtrot wk3 quickstep wk4 paso dobles

Anne Heche - All Dancing with the Stars Performances

Please register in order to view this content

Gurus magazine

Behind the Scenes: Anne Heche for Gurus Magazine

Casey Hutchison tribute

A Tribute to Anne Heche

The show's tribute to Anne

Another World's tribute to Anne Heche

1991 Emmy reel

Another World's tribute to Anne Heche

Last day AW #1

Vicky leaves Bay City, part 1 (Anne Heche's final episodes)

Last day AW #2

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Anne+Heche+last+day+at+AW+July+1%2C+1991+pt+2

Last day AW #3

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Anne+Heche+last+day+at+AW+July+1%2C+1991+pt+3

Last day AW #4

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Anne+Heche+last+day+at+AW+July+1%2C+1991+pt+4

This is the video at the end where AH broke the 4th wall, said not to forget her, said Bon Voyage, blew a kiss to the camera, etc. to say goodbye to the fans

Lindsey Buckingham song "Down on Rodeo"

Down on Rodeo He says this is the song he wrote for Anne when or after they dated. At the end you can hear him speak/sing "Can you hear me, Annie?" twice

Others say this is the song he wrote with another guy about Anne & her lesbianism, etc. "Come"  Come - Fleetwood Mac - 2003 - Lindsey Buckingham

Talent Scout story REAL talk show much more

Anne Heche on Being Blacklisted for Coming Out, Talks Differences Between Her & Ellen’s Experiences

AW Who Shot Jake #1

Another World - Jake's shooting, part 1

AW Who Shot Jake #2

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Another+World+Who+Shot+Jake+%232

Suzanne Rees tribute

Anne Heche as Vicky & Marley

Anne Heche slapping Donna unscripted

https://twitter.com/bredrew2/status/1558037146614878209?lang=en