Y&R: Week of May 04, 2009

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lauren is hardly used now, and I don't think it's effecting the show in any which way.

Say TPTP fire Jeanne Cooper tomorrow, her absense would be felt much deeper than Lauren's....

Regardless of how much Katherine is on, she is much more at the heart of the show than Lauren will ever be.

• Members

I one of those viewers who didn't mind Jill & Katherine being mother & daughter. I also think they could have still be bitches to each other. My mother dones't get along with one of my sister. To me MAB didn't even try to write then as conflicting mother & daughter before she undid them.

But why to undo them first when she could have undo Jill & Cane mother & son.

• Members

I don't think anyone is saying Lauren is more important than Katherine because of course she is not. But why just get rid of talented vets when it would be easier to write for them. Lauren started on this show when she was 19 and she is connected to many of the characters. MAB is choosing not to use her but that is her preference not something that is inherently wrong with Lauren's character. Her character has lasted on two shows for over 25 years. There must be something to her most viewers enjoy watching.

• Members

I so agree with this! Latham crammed them down our throats, mainly Gloria.

Nelson confirmed in one of his posts that it's not Doug Davidson since he's no superstar and if it were Braeden, we'd heard something from him so perhaps it is MTS or Cooper?

• Members

Well, I think Lauren's fans enjoy the show less when she isn't around. My point here is that who is and isn't needed is pretty much a subjective thing. Are there a lot of people you like that you consider unnecessary? I'm guessing probably not.

Maybe some people like JC are more central to the show, but that doesn't mean everyone else is "not needed". Otherwise we'll be watching the same 10 people week after week.

• Members

Even if Nelly is right, I'm telling you guys, no need to sweat... I bet it's Judith. Nelson thinks she's a superstar and he's a drama queen. They're not gonna can Melody.

• Members

It wouldn't be "today, it's Michael; tomorrow, it'll be Greg" with no explanation. Of course, you'd have to take time gradually re-integrating one and phasing out the other. The trick is to get the newer viewers as familiar w/ Greg as the older ones.

• Members

That's their right, but I personally don't think Lauren's absense is impacting any of the current storylines at all.

If TPTB don't use a character for a very long time, the character isn't some moral center of the show, and they don't have any plans to use that character, then I think that character isn't needed, since that character isn't serving any purpose IMO.

I don't have a problem with characters not tied to core familides or whatever, if they aren't being written for and haven't in a long time, what purpose are they serving on the show? Writing can change this, but when writers have their favourites, very little is ever going to change.

Archived