December 1-5, 2008

Toups

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ratings.......Schmatings..................

The 3 shows I still watch (AMC, OLTL, & Y&R) are still great right now......so for me right now it is a big FU to the ratings. I haven't enjoyed all 3 shows this much in a long time.

ATWT lost a lot of male viewers this week (94,000). Looks like the rest of the viewers were teens and women over 50. Be interesting to know if those men were gay men or straight men. Maybe the gay guys are leaving due to the neglect of Noah and Luke. Interesting.

• Members

Interesting week in the ratings for the soaps. Although everything is down in viewers, the demos are still stabilizing and healthy plus some shows went up on certain days during the week.

CBS seems to have had a good week last week with all their soaps even GL.

B&B has been really good since Phoebe's death and I can see a 2.8 from them for next week. Y&R has shown alot of strength getting alot of days over 3.5 to 3.8 as of late so that's a good sign for them. ATWT had their best week in a while.

ABC on the other hand was disappointing, but at least OLTL stabilized a bit and didn't slip under 2.0 on multiple days like AMC. AMC is still pretty good right now, but its a mess when it comes to characters who are in the forefront right now. Ryan needs to go. GH had a good start to the week and has stabilized since the beginning of sweeps.

DAYS had a really good week with only one day under 2.0 and two days at 2.1 and hanging close to 3 million viewers. Also the demo has remained the same from last year so no huge losses for DAYS.

I think it'll be a close for soap of the year for '09, but OLTL has won it for '08 hands down.

• Members

I saw AMC and OLTL tonight. Of the two OLTL was better but some of the stories are just recycled [!@#$%^&*]! Christian and the illegal marriage was seen a mile away. How many times has a story like this been done?? Cant Carlivati come up with something new??

As for ATWT...they had more 18-34 women watching in a long time. They are up +3 from last year. The teens dropped big this week for ATWT. As for the gay or straight men....not sure. ATWT has always been in the top 3 with men even before Nuke came to town.

The 50+ viewers have always been high for ATWT too. Usually ranking #3 behind Y&R and B&B.

• Members

AMC is still a mess of a show. Most of the stories on AMC just aren't working. Love MCE but the Annie stuff is just too OTT and too Ryan/Greenlee-centered. As someone posted above, it's obvious that the Reese/Bianca story is all about Reese, a snooze of a character, as Frons/Pratt pimp Braun. Bianca/Eden, which is where the audience interest and sympathy lie, just seems like an afterthought, which is a shame. Irizarry is a great actor, but the whole David/Amanda and David/Krystal/Tad stuff are a snooze. The Jesse/Angie/Rebecca/Natalia stuff seems pointless and DOA. I know this goes against popular opinion, but for me, the only thing that's really working is the Taylor/Jake stuff. For some reason the story seems like classic AMC and the actors have some obvious chemistry. I've said it before, but the show needs a total overhaul with character-oriented, multigenerational, socially relevant stories that come out of the show's deep history. I really believe these types of stories are what would generate interest, restore the show's identity, and get the ratings up long term, but TPTB are afraid to take that risk.

• Members

[!@#$%^&*] the ratings.

Y&R is ratings stable...it's just stable at a low end which is horrible because the show has been amazing.

B&B is enjoyable right now, I know everyone else hates it. But I enjoy it.

DAYS is so surprisingly stable at the moment, who knows what's up with the show!

• Members

I'm still not seeing all the AMC hate. It is not perfect and I will be the first to admit that but I am loving almost 100% of it.

I love the new rivalry with Angie and David.

I love the Bianca/Reese story. The lesbian couple are getting front burner coverage and they are being treated as any other couple. They are having troubles from within and without. I am not a big Tamara Braun fan as many are but I love her as Reese. And I love the character.

The only thing I have hated of late is the sudden shift away from the Erica I loved a few weeks ago. I want her back. And I am not into the Tad/David/Krystal story at all.

And as to OLTL. It is just great right now. The only thing I am not too much into is the Cristian story but I haven't been into anything written for him since his relationship with Evangeline. He has just been a useless character ever since then.

As to Carlivati writing something cliche and done before - even the greats like William J. Bell resorted to the old tired stories over and over. How many times did William Bell resort to the tired brothers fighting over the same woman. It is just the nature of soap writing. Some things are always going to come up again and again and again and again.

If it was a different character involved I would probably be into it but the stuff that makes this bad is the characters involved.

OLTL has just been the acting showcase of the year in the last few weeks. the performers have really risen to the occasion and have really delivered.

The ratings are just the ratings and to equate them with whether a show is good or not as has been said a billion times is a true falsehood.

The ratings did not get to where they are at in a short time. None of the shows got there overnight and the ratings are not going to go back up overnight either. It is going to take a long time for viewers to trust and some may never trust and come back. Today's viewers are fickle and as I have often said I think a big core of the ratings numbers over the last few years have been some of the same soap opera viewers hopping. They hop over to tune into the latest stunt at one show and then hop back to another after that stunt or event is over.

• Members

And as to OLTL. It is just great right now. The only thing I am not too much into is the Cristian story but I haven't been into anything written for him since his relationship with Evangeline. He has just been a useless character ever since then.

As to Carlivati writing something cliche and done before - even the greats like William J. Bell resorted to the old tired stories over and over. How many times did William Bell resort to the tired brothers fighting over the same woman. It is just the nature of soap writing. Some things are always going to come up again and again and again and again.

If it was a different character involved I would probably be into it but the stuff that makes this bad is the characters involved.

OLTL has just been the acting showcase of the year in the last few weeks. the performers have really risen to the occasion and have really delivered.

The ratings are just the ratings and to equate them with whether a show is good or not as has been said a billion times is a true falsehood.

The ratings did not get to where they are at in a short time. None of the shows got there overnight and the ratings are not going to go back up overnight either. It is going to take a long time for viewers to trust and some may never trust and come back. Today's viewers are fickle and as I have often said I think a big core of the ratings numbers over the last few years have been some of the same soap opera viewers hopping. They hop over to tune into the latest stunt at one show and then hop back to another after that stunt or event is over.

!!!!!Well said!!!!!!

The ratings this week really pissed me off. I generally take them or leave them. But that 1.2 in the 18-49, almost at the bottom of the ratings... its terrible. And Y&R's new permanent 3.6. Just sucks.

I think ABC needs to really focus on AMC and get the whole lineup off to a kickass start. GH- which I have on everyday- Is absolutely uninvolving. I couldn't even tell you who is who or what is going on. All I know is I look at the screen whenever that LoCicero woman or that Kristen Storms girl is on. I just LIKE them. But I can't even tell you what is going on. Its just blah. blah lighting. blah music. blahhhhhhhhh

This is NOT the GH I remember from highschool and college. How ABC could not be on overdrive when their precious crown jewel is at a 2.2 rating is beyond me...

• Members

I'm loving most of AMC these days, too.

What works for me: The Hubbards dealing with Rebecca & Natalia, David's plot against JR, the rivalry between David & Angie, David/Krystal, Taylor/Jake/Brot, Bianca/Reese, Annie's breakdown, and I'm looking forward to when Erica moves in with Adam partly to see how it impacts Jack.

What doesn't work for me: The continued overemphasis on Ryan & Greenlee, Aidan's plot against Annie, and Zach's wait for Kendall to come out of her coma and his closeness to Reese.

I also miss Erica lately. Since she got stabbed she's barely been on. I miss Pete and Opal too.

But compared to a six months ago, AMC has made great strides and is continually improving, imo!

Archived