Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Tavis Smiley is a true rival to Obama...in his own mind.  

To me, both Smiley and Cornell West have taken it upon themselves to be Obama's personal booing section. Wonder what those two will do now? I've noticed that they are awfully quiet lately (not that I'm complaining). I guess I can count that as one of the few silver linings recently.

One of the (many) reasons why I didn't bother watching last night and likely won't in the future.

Even the Trump White House Thinks D.C. Pundits Are Fools for Praising Him

• Members

The pundits are really vomit inducing. It's why I can't take any of them seriously. I absolutely loathe CNN and Vann Jones and many others on that network,  But at least I guess Jake Tapper kept it real

This has zero to do with minimum wage. Places like McDonalds and Panera and Chipotle have been doing this all over the country. In Illinois and not just in Chicago where outside of the city, there is no raised minimum wage, it's being done.

You realize the point you think you are making is contradicted in this article, that a raised minimum wage is the reason for this, when this was happening before this. Same reason supermarkets have been trying to transition to the self checkout machines and will likely be using the new phone technology to allow customers to bypass a manual check out line. Technology has replaced 75% of the manufacturing jobs here, those jobs that allegedly are coming back. Those jobs are never coming back to livable wages and no company is going to reverse technological advances that are successful to give "Mericans" those jobs back at $50/hour. But enjoy the $15 pound you are going to pay for tomatoes at the supermarket for all those migrant jobs undocumented folks are taking from "real mericans".

I know I shouldn't feed the troll but the point I believe you are trying to make regarding minimum wage - what's being done has zero to do with that and the article you highlighted basically reinforces that.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

You shouldn't feed the troll but I know the need to educate wrong-headed thinking every time you see/read it is tempting but it just seems like some people's minds are closed to reality-- it'll be never-ending.

Speaking of self-checkouts, the U.S. fast food industry is not the only one doing this. It's also happening in Japan.

Self-checkouts in wider use at stores

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I wrote the greatest post ever

Please register in order to view this content

and it disappeared. 

I know I ragged on the media for gushing over Trump.  The bar is set so low for him that he gets praise for sticking to what was on the teleprompter.  It's like taking a 10 year old to a party and rewarding him for sitting still for a whole hour, except he is 70 years old and woo hoo, it's great that he stuck to reading the teleprompter.  This another reason I hate the media--the "dumbification" of the people. They are total enablers.

I know I shouldn't either but who makes increasing minimum wage for people who live below the poverty line seem like some terrible thing?  I am going to remain non-partisan because I can't stand the politics and I especially cannot stand how much disregard Republicans have for human life.  They're fine with contaminating the water people drink, sending toxic waste in the environment, gutting healthcare for sick people, all in the name of saving money and pretending that public safety is a hindrance to job production. 

• Members

For me it's not about educating someone because people have the right to their opinion and I am not trying to change it.  I just cave to that basic human emotion of irritation when someone tries to "educate" everyone by implying that poor people need to be sacrificed to corporate greed.  That it is based on a lie just kicks makes it all the more irritating. Clearly, I have no self-control.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Horrible people do!  Rich fat cats and the feeble-minded people who enable/support them do!

FYI, to Trolls with poor information/reasoning:

Just to add to that list of companies who are automating checkouts, Walmart, who can NEVER be accused of raising wages in any timely way whatsoever, is also automating their registers, apparently in a bid to try to compete with the likes of Amazon. 

Amazon, by the way has been hiring more staff and employees over the past year and a half, so they are NOT doing this to cut jobs or wages.

Walmart is going after Amazon's store of the future with no cashiers or registers

• Members

The troll IMPO only posts items to see if that person can get arguments started and hijack the thread. it is hard at times.....but in the long run, it's so much better to have reasonable discussions instead of shouting matches started by those who love to feel important.....you know....like Trump. 

• Members

This sounds like a disaster in the making.  How long before some sort of phone hacking is hidden?

I'm in the LA area.  My local Albertsons and Target stores have some self-checkout stations that are supposed to help ease long lines but they haven't caught on yet.  People generally seem to avoid the one at the grocery store and sometimes the line to use the ones at Target is just as long as the regular line.

I guess I've missed the attempt to engage.  It seems more like the posts are about the Democrats having no hope and how great Trump's ideas are.  But you're right about it being useless.

So I didn't know about Van Jones commenting on Michelle Obama until I saw it mentioned in this thread.  I remember when they touted him as the next great big deal before whatever controversy arose about him--I can't even remember what it was and I am too lazy to check.  I'm not a fan of his "race expert analysis."  I am long over the illusion that talking about it makes a huge difference.  The people who are the most hateful and destructive don't listen and heart/mind issues cannot be fixed by laws and policies. 

Today I'm just tired of experts period.  TV programs were interrupted on multiple channels in order to show a car chase and of course, a police expert was needed to explain to those of use who haven't seen all the other car chases they've shown over the years, what was going on.  I find none of that interesting and I never understand why they don't tack it on to the local news broadcast when they have the complete story.  It's not as if they even show that to warn people to stay away from the area.  Maybe I missed when they announced that poll which shows that people love watching extra low car chases instead of whatever was scheduled to be shown.  They once interrupted a cartoon show so that the kids watching could be treated to a man committing suicide on the freeway..