The Politics Thread

• Members

Don't get your hopes up about that. Anything can happen. We saw how eager the media was to declare him "presidential" just because he read from a teleprompter for an hour and managed not to piss himself.  The resistance has had a lot of victories but we've had a lot of losses. IMO this is going to be a much longer fight than a lot of people think. Jeff Sessions was a US Senator from Alabama and somehow the Russians managed to turn him. That's how far down the rabbit hole we are. There's no telling who else they may have compromised through blackmail, threats, bribery, etc.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yep. And even with Nixon it was drip drip and it was 2 years before he was out after the breakin. And that wasn't as widespanning as this may be. I'm honestly wondering if they have dirt on Paul Ryan, Nunes, and Burr. If the RNC was hacked also who knows what information they may have on these people.

• Members

The media had a bad night with the speech because, just like in the election, their bar was so low and they seem to jump at any chance to go back to playing the normal, fun, breezy Beltway politics game. Honestly, I expected that flip for the night. I also expected Trump to fúck up again and send them back on the hunt in a day or two. I didn't expect this to happen, or quite so fast. For the most part I feel they are doing the job on Trump now, but that doesn't excuse the flip or their past conduct. They have to learn more consistent discipline and focus, and most of the news media has lost that.

I think the collapse of this administration will be both faster and slower than any of us expect. Not that makes sense, but whatever. There are levels, y'all. And multiple targets.

Edited by Vee

• Members

If the media thinks Pence is their forever friend (which they likely will) and Republicans in Congress think he's a safe bet, it will put more pressure on Trump. And we'll then just get a more "Jesus told me to hate you" and slightly less corrupt version of the same for the next 4-8-12 years. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Pence would be a placeholder like Gerald Ford and probably wouldn't even win the 2020 primary. His career is at it's end and he'd be happy to just have the title for a few years. If he isn't maneuvering behind Trump's back, it would be quite surprising.

• Members

Pence is not Trump. He doesn't have a fraction of even that man's odious charisma. To preemptively mythologize him based entirely on his dogmatic fundamentalist policies is to empower him, and he isn't empowered or charismatic.

I think I just spotted the next body to fall:

Edited by Vee

• Members

I was reading some frivolous thing on USA Today when up popped Breaking News about Pence and his hacked email. 

Anyway, I was telling someone yesterday that bragging about getting a price cut from Boeing had to mean that Boeing was making cuts somewhere.  Now this does not have anything to do with the latest great deal Trump bragged about but it does further illustrate his ignorance and how he's getting played behind the scenes of his great photo-ops and declarations:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-02/boeing-is-cutting-1-800-seattle-area-factory-engineering-jobs

Well she'll probably have to grin and bear what her vote is about to reap when he takes over that office.