The Politics Thread

• Members

Yes, this I already know. He didn't get those jobs from Softbank for Sprint either but that didn't stop him from talking about it and then taking credit when those jobs were announced.

My point is, why isn't Trump talking about it when his beloved Ivanka still has merchandise in those Macys stores? Exactly because he cannot do anything and he doesn't want to call attention to this.

Retailers nationwide is closing stores (GNC, Aeropostale, etc) and jobs will be lost- probably more jobs than the coal industry- yet no one is talking about what will happen to those people.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Shocking moment Chicago teen gang - including two girls - 'kidnap and torture' special-needs man while streaming entire ordeal live on Facebook and screaming racist and anti-Trump remarks 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4089510/Four-people-arrested-footage-young-man-beaten-tortured-streamed-live-Facebook.html

Four teens have been arrested after sickening footage of a young man allegedly being held hostage, beaten and tortured was live-streamed on Facebook.

Two men and two women, believed to all be aged 18, were taken into custody by Chicago police on Wednesday after authorities were made aware of the 30-minute social media video. It is believed the victim, a young man in his teens or early 20s, went to school with one of the suspects and has special needs.

The footage shows the four black people allegedly holding the white man hostage in an apartment on the 3400 block of West Lexington on Chicago's West Side on Tuesday.

• Members

The sheer amount of anti choice legislation coming up in Missouri is really disheartening.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/new-gop-control-missouri-primed-anti-abortion-blitz-2017

Before my genetic tests came back for my son (all was well), I asked the doctor if I would have options if something were seriously wrong. She basically said that by the time there was a definitive diagnosis (15 weeks) I would have to go to Kansas City.  At the time I was sad for all the young girls and poor women who would have to make that 8 hour round trip to get what should be basic care. Looks like now they might have to take a 20 hour round trip to Denver. It's downright shameful.

Like I told one of my husband's aggressive a-hole friends, you can never stop middle class or rich women from getting abortions. We'll just fly to California, Canada or Europe to get the care we need. The only people you are stopping are the poor. The same people you denigrate for needing welfare. Ugh, these people piss me off so much.  The sheer stupidity is unbelievable.

• Members

Exactly.

I will say it once more: I don't understand why people who work in coal and manufacturing are suddenly the ones everyone else has to worry over and give special treatment to when they don't constitute even a tenth of this country's population or labor force.

Yes, they are hurting economically; and we need to do more for and better by them.  But Come. On.  Stop acting as if they are the ONLY ones who live in this country, America, or that they're the only ones who were affected adversely by the Great Recession.  Unless you were someone like Donald Trump, no one got away from that crisis unscathed.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't think anyone is really acting like they are the only ones who count. One of the main reasons they are getting attention is that they are the ones who switched parties. Their loss led to Hillary's loss. I don't think there's really any getting around that. Now Democrats have to figure out what the coalition looks like without them. And yes, I know she one the popular vote, but so what? That doesn't change the situation at hand.

And when it comes to manufacturing in general the loss of those well paying jobs are a hit to the middle class in general.  When you lose millions of well paying jobs the ramifications to the economy at large are pretty big. This has been a problem for decades and it's just adding to the income gap at large.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

It makes for an easier story and image, because it hits so many flashpoints - white demographics fading from the majority, jobs fading due to environmental changes and the global economy, the "average" American feeling under attack, and so on.

• Members

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that it never occurs to most of them that denying low- and no-income women access to abortions potentially means yet another child being raised on the government dole.

I'm not saying I'm pro-abortion.  But I do believe that whatever goes on in a woman's reproductive system is nobody's business but hers and God's; and that if we are actually concerned more with how this affects our taxes (which I think we are -- IOW, conservatives only employ the moral argument to persuade the public into defunding abortion clinics and organizations such as Planned Parenthood; and if no abortions were funded with federal dollars, then abortion itself wouldn't be an issue at all) then we need to weigh the costs of abortions against supporting another generation of welfare recipients. 

• Members

@Khan I'm not sure anyone is pro abortion except Lena Dunham. I'm actually right of the Democratic plank on abortion, which is needlessly provocative, imo. There is so much we could do to prevent abortion (access to birth control, access to childcare, more financial support to single parents), but it seems to me Republicans are basically against all of them.

• Members

https://www.rt.com/usa/372699-chicago-police-tortured-facebook-video/

"The attackers in the video use a knife to threaten the victim before cutting his clothing, hair and scalp with it. The victim is also forced to say “F*** Trump,” “I love black people,” and kiss the floor.

The four suspects cut and repeatedly hit the victim, and can be heard shouting "F*** Donald Trump! F*** white people!," "beat his ass," and "he gonna be a corpse."