The Politics Thread

• Members

Honestly @Khan I think your scenario is more likely than mine.  I just felt like my post was coming off bitchy so I needed to come up with something positive.  The fact is I think we are the highway to hell and I'm feeling kind of matter of fact about it at the moment. I'm only wondering which horrific thing Trump will do first.

@JaneAusten I'm glad you are feeling optimistic and obviously I hope you're right.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Optimistic I realize is too strong a word. Encouraged may be better. Trump is and will be a disaster but there are people standing up for the first time in their lives. As I said, many have been complacent for years(at least the last 40) who are finally awake. Now if the democrats sit on their asses, bicker, stay complacent and don't leverage this they can blame themselves. I'm trying to feel a bit more positive seeing the enthusiasm and knowing that our current POTUS has already said he's not abandoning us.

• Members

Something I found so sad when I saw it on the news today is that all over Europe they're putting up roadblocks in major cities and calling in extra police and military so that people can go out and celebrate New Year's Eve with a little less fear of terrorist attacks....

They interviewed people in Copenhagen and they were grateful for this and felt it was a good idea.

And in Gothenburg here in Sweden a big shopping mall decided to close early today because there were rumours that youth gangs were planning to shoot fireworks at people in retaliation for what they perceive as harassment from the police.

How did we get to this point where people feel the need for these extraordinary measures to be taken just so they can go out and celebrate a new year?  

Watching that and reading this thread has really made me feel a bit depressed. There's just so much hate and ugliness in the world right now, and there seems to be no end in sight. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by I Am A Swede

• Members

If I'm a part of that I'm sorry. I'm not sorry for my posts but I'm sorry if they contributed to you feeling this way.

O/T: One of my oldest and best friends in the world is "A Swede." Allow me to raise a mug of Glogg on this New Year's Eve.

Edited by marceline

• Members

I didn't mean for anyone to feel responsible in any way for my state of mind. If I did that I'm genuinely sorry. I enjoy reading this thread even though it's content is very depressing sometimes, because it's still an enlightening read, and at the end of the day I want to believe that somehow people with intelligence and common sense, like the posters here, will prevail and we will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But of course, then you get news like this, and it all feels depressing again...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38481521

The new year has hardly even begun, but there has already been an attack.....  

Please register in order to view this content