The Politics Thread

• Members

I remember this awful woman from 2020 but did not know she was the moron who was talking about how the students who took over a building at Columbia needed food.

And then we have a Jacobin reporter who bragged about his mother no longer voting for Biden, only for his mother to turn out to be yet another Bernie dead-ender. 

Last and least, yet another hack from Media Matters.

I will stop posting these again and again, but if you ever wonder why the right has so much power in this country, you can see why.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

I thought this was a pretty good response to a situation that is impossibly distorted on either end of the spectrum online.

What matters is the people (on either side) who badly wanted another Kent State/'68 fantasy are not going to get it.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Why has this not been renewed? Not a good idea to allow a program that helped bridge the digital divide and in an election year. I know that the war in Gaza has dominated political discourse but it’s just not good policy to let something like this lapse, it gives people the impression that government doesn’t care about people in need.

The Affordable Connectivity Program Kept Them Online. What Now?

• Members

The dead end left takes up so much of the conversation that it can be hard to find any middle ground. They like to "joke" that the middle ground is both sides hating Biden, as shown in a viral video of fascists of the left and the right in an Alabama protest chanting [!@#$%^&*] Biden. It's not much of a joke deep down as many of them loved Trump and miss him every day. 

I think Biden has handled the protests as well as he probably could have, rather than siding with rich kids who cosplay as Palestinians for clout or the right who wanted to see the water cannons and rubber bullets. Unfortunately being in the middle or handling a bad situation well just ends up causing more dissent among many of those who carry the conversation, and on top of the economy sputtering, does feel like a bad break. 

I've always thought if he wins it will just be by narrow margins. I'll take that, if there's any chance of it happening. I just hope we at least get one house of Congress if he does.

Another example of how important it was to keep that hypocritical grifter Nina Turner out of Congress. Here is the man who ran the "Ninamobile." 

I wouldn't be surprised if this type of program was ended through having to work with the likes of Manchin or other 'sensible' Democrats to get anything passed. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Thoughtful thread by Tom Bonier on primary voters who did not vote Trump and it's something Biden=Harris should reach out to.

Debunking the popular theory that Nikki Haley's relatively substantial support in GOP primaries has been due to Dem leaning voters flooding the GOP primary vote, thereby suggesting that Haley's strong showing isn't actually a bad sign for Trump...

They were not substantially younger than the GOP voters (41% over 65 vs 45% among reg GOPs). They were overwhelmingly white (94% of Inds vs 97% of GOPs), and were actually more likely to be men (51% of Ind GOP primary voters vs 50% of GOPs).
Every indicator suggests these Independents voting in GOP primaries are more likely GOP voters. They just don't like Trump. If I were the Biden campaign, I would be investing in outreach to any Ind who voted in a GOP primary (or if I was the
Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

There are just a few people I stay on Twitter for, although I am also too addicted to the political turmoil to fully go even when I know I should. Unfortunately, many of the sensible people are gone, and many who are left are just wretched. Some have also clearly had a full breakdown, including a few that I remember as being very different not that long ago. 

I saw somebody who was going on about how it is "nationalist" if you vote based on America instead of what is going on in Palestine. This is one of those talking points I end up assuming is propaganda baked up by the same people who always want to help the far-right win, or those who are so full of nihilism, or they are just so trapped in an online bubble they have absolutely no ability to allow for basic empathy. The idea that you should sacrifice your vote based on a situation that Trump will do nothing to improve (and will likely make it even worse) because of "sending a message" is just incredibly naive, to the point where it leapfrogs into cynicism and a very clear agenda that has nothing to do with peace.

I do think Biden is better off trying for Haley voters, those who won't end up voting for Trump (as many will). I read somewhere he hasn't reached out to her. I don't blame him if so but he doesn't have anything to lose. 

• Members

Biden started courting Haley voters the minute she dropped out. He's cut numerous ads targeting them and I suspect that outreach will ramp up significantly after the RNC because Trump (assuming he's still alive) will make it his mission to humiliate Haley and her voters.

Whenever people say Biden should be doing this or that people need to remember that no one knows more about politics than Joe Biden.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Honestly none of those people voted for Biden before so I don't believe what they say matters that much.  And honestly there is very little that even matters about what most others say there either. 

I was watching an episode of Don Lemon's show on Youtube and he had Mehdi Hassan on as a guest. They were talking about Lemon's interview with Musk and Mehdi said he predicted what would happen as Don Lemon admitted many others did too. Mehdi actually complemented him on some of his questions and trying to hold Musks feet to the fire, but that Musk has never responded to challenges with reasonable actions or responses and Musk dumping Lemon was predictable and demonstrates what we all know, he does not nor ever has cared about free speech. All the platform IMO has done is has fully embarrassed people like Musk(there are other "Billionaires" on there) and they look ridiculous. No twitter hasn't failed as predicted but it's no longer a viable platform. It's a step above 4chan, if even that.

Honestly Twitter has become more and more irrelevant. It's really not you know.  I stay on primarily because there are people there who I still follow on there like Rosenburg, Bonier, Tom Nichols, and a few others. I know it's hard, but I try to ignore the rest. I do suggest Spoutible because it's very easy to transition to and it's built up a decent diversity of membership and many news sites are on there too.

Edited by JaneAusten