• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This part of that article:

Mail delays have become so prevalent in Richmond, which implemented one of the first regional distribution centers in October, that Richmond General Registrar Keith Balmer told residents in February not to send their ballots for the March presidential primary by mail and to instead use one of three drop boxes in the city or to vote in person at an early voting location or a polling site on Election Day. For the upcoming election, Balmer said he will be strongly urging voters to use drop boxes.

“I understand that these issues extend beyond mere inconvenience; they represent a fundamental threat to our democracy,” 
Balmer said in a blog post tweeted  on Feb. 26.  (Link)  

• Members
Posted (edited)

DeJoy should've been made a priority long ago.

There are too many characters like him who are accepted as part of the cost of doing Beltway business, except now it's with an asymmetrical party that has gone rogue and operates outside the old rules. Until the mindset changes we can win and succeed, but we're going to keep on dealing with a slippery slope and facing serious dangers. Part of that is the cost of lifelong vigilance, sure, but some things can be made better. You have to put some of these people already winnowed inside the institutions down for good, by dismissing them and ejecting them from cozy posts, and there has to be urgency re: filling positions and not letting the GOP define the narrative which in turn spooks eagerly-frightened red state Dems and makes them reject key nominees. That will also require a real investment in media just like the right has done with Fox, etc. and which our side hasn't done in years. It is no longer enough in the age of TikTok, etc. to just hope 'the right people will get it' watching cable media on Sunday mornings. I think we're in a good position to win this year, but we've got to do more and better if we want to knock the current fascist wave back for good or we're going to be dealing with this kind of relentless insanity for the rest of my life. And I'd really rather not.

Edited by Vee

• Members

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/08/trump-says-abortion-is-up-to-the-states-declines-to-endorse-national-limit-00151022

Get ready for all the backflips from the "liberal" media about how smart and brave and savvy Trump is, along with the dead end leftists praising him and saying he is more progressive on choice than Biden and the Democrats. 

(I don't really think it will change minds one way or the other - if voters who care about these rights vote for Trump then they are going to find a reason anyway. I'm still disgusted [if not surprised] by his shamelessness and how I know so many, many, many people in the Beltway and supposed progressives will eat out of his hand)

• Members
Posted (edited)

I have not heard one person or outlet praising him for this not one. And it's not a decision. It's a coward's way out and no one is buying it. Certainly, women who are pro choice are not.

In this same video he says he ended Roe - that's enough for me and most pro choice folks know he's a liar. He already said he'd sign a national abortion ban so who cares about this really.

You have to forgive me for always going after the abortion posts because this is a personal issue for me. I am frankly tired of people mostly men by the way diminishing the impact of this.  It made me happy to hear a friends husband who is a true small gvmt conservative said for the first time in years he'll be voting democratic(he voted independent in 2020 and in 2016).  Why - this issue. He says there is absolutely nothing small gvmt about this.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

It'll just be the same old song and dance: A few hours at best of breathless excitement by the Beltway claiming Trump is 'pivoting' and then the reality sets in and they just live with it. No real voters are going to be fooled.

• Members

It's the usual awkward positioning - you either praise his savvy or you play in and wink and nod that maybe THIS time, he means it. Various journalists or authors will pop up to play along.

I'd like to believe no one falls for this, but I am always wary, especially with the media and culture we have. I certainly hope you are right. After hearing many say the same to me in 2016 (and yes, I know that was pre-Roe falling) I will just never be sure again.

In RFK news:

A piece on all the angst and equivocating of a few female voters in Bucks County and how they are "RFK-curious" - another part of the plan to try to get those who voted for Biden but aren't sure about doing so again to find an offramp.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2024/04/biden-trump-kennedy-voters/677988/

And here is one of his campaign people, who was apparently at J6...

• Members

Good grief a couple of articles. Tell me other than twitter fans and the Beltway - both in all cases out of touch with the mainstream, who is paying attention to them. I have been hearing since Dobbs how women are over this blah blah blah. And it's always men who equivocate. But please put your faith in the Beltway who has been wrong about this issue and most others for years.  

• Members

Maybe because I just reading 1619 but every time I read an article like this, I am more convinced that racism is embedded into every facet of American society, from the health system to H.R., education and all points in between. Over hundreds of years, the United States has only taken middling steps toward remedying this and leaves hordes of people behind along the way.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-discovered-sent-80-000-165423098.html