The Politics Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

It's not always just men who equivocate - I posted a clip a month or two back with Mara Liasson from NPR going on about how if Trump called for a 16 week ban, he would be a normal politician because that's in line with the public view. She spun it in a positive way for Trump, because that's what the press wants. One of the reasons these ploys go on and on is because they are able to drag many different faces of the Beltway in.

Stop Pretending Trump Is a Savvy Politician | The New Republic

The reason I posted the articles was to show the media doing all this again and how easily they are swayed, not to say oh women are going to be fooled - I even said in my first post I thought most people who voted for Trump were going to do so anyway not because he convinced them about abortion. My point was that these cynical games will drive up a lot of the usual media takes and support from certain quarters that have an interest in pushing votes toward him and away from Democrats, like many on the far left.

I'm not going to put my faith in anyone, whether it be the press or a section of voters, because there are too many moving pieces and this country has burned us all too many times before. I'm going to hope for the best, but that's about all I can do. If you take that as doubting women, then there's nothing I can do about it I guess, other than suggest you put me on ignore.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

When t**p says leave abortion up to the states,
I hear "states rights" as a blatant dog whistle for states' rights to own humans as slaves.
But in this case, it's states' rights to control women with a dogwhistle to attract both racists and sexists.

Edited by janea4old

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think there's a difference between highlighting the usual bullshít Axios, etc. loves to do and believing it will definitely connect and succeed in swaying enough key voters. (I'm not saying DRW is doing the latter either.) I think it's important to do the first thing, but also important to recognize Axios and Politico are often left looking foolish when they try to sway the latter, especially in the last 5-10 years, outside of anywhere but the Beltway. They went all in on red waves more than once in the last five years that did not happen, and they will again in future I'm sure.

The Beltway loves to wishcast for the election cycle or Trump they want to see. The difference between now and 2016 is that his base has degraded from that size, continues to degrade, and meanwhile the burnout left is just not as big or as intractable as it was almost 10 years ago either. A lot of the very loud far left voices and followings online are ultimately paper tigers, or are oversampled by media hit pieces that always love to try to gin up major 'divisions among the Dem base' when most of those people don't vote period. And that media strategy has happened over and over.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I would propose that it’s more than just discrimination by “Black” sounding names but there are likely keywords in resumes that the algorithm picks up on in which candidates will be penalized, like if they lists their education and they majored in Black studies, that will ultimately be a penalty. Addresses from redlined neighborhoods listed on resumes will also be a penalty.

Interesting how the former VP of TFG is railing on social media about this so-called “pivot” being a betrayal to every “Pro-Life” voter who voted for them in 2016 and 2020.

Also the AZ GOP seems to use an issue that seems to be a political loss leader for their party and double down on it (ever more rigid abortion laws). We’ll see how this goes.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Member of Arizona state senate has medical need for an abortion and can't get one.  She is pregnant with an nonviable fetus and is addressing the legislature.  This is from March 2024 and I don't know what's happened since then.  It's a very intense 9:36, but watch the whole thing and pass it on.
(I started to post this last week and I don't think it went through, forgive me if this is a duplication):

Copy on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYPCnsSxfzs

copy on twitter:

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Watching this "Washington is broken" Today Show segment from 32 years ago (it's about 11 minutes in) reminds me of just how much nothing changes, other than getting worse. Now the GOP are such rabid dogs they are trying to take out a speaker over foreign aid.