The Politics Thread

• Members

Members of the media now expressing the pressure the DOJ was under to put something out there—they claim it was pressure from the people…no, it was pressure from the media. Now they get a heavily redacted document and they are disappointed because the ‘juicy bits’ have been redacted. Did they think the DOJ was going to compromise a whole investigation?

Now the media itself is forced to admit that releasing such documents at this very early stage is not how things are usually done. Again, a situation that they, the media forced.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think they were desperate for a story to sell, uh, tell. They could have just endlessly speculated, like they did with Comey and Clinton in 2016. They kept people hanging on for months on that one. I guess the media don’t want to risk tanking Trump’s chance to run again, the way they tanked Hillary’s campaign. One journalist even alluded to this. Because this would ruin their chance to shape the next election as a horse race that they can make a game out of, instead of something serious where lives can literally be at stake.

• Members

Oh, wow. I thought redacted meant edited/reduced. In other words, the DOJ will put a redacted document, but they're not going to reveal information that will give clemency for that orange turd of a skeeze to worm his way out of things. Hell, didn't that judge read eveything and say that there were very sensitive things that cannot be disclosed to the public? In such a way that it would seriously interfere with their continous investigation? 

• Members

I saw the usual gaslighting, ramped up another notch, from worthless Megan McArdle claiming this would make Republicans never support another PPP (which they weren't going to do anyway) or worthless Nate Silver going on about how there is no equivalence. Or the dead end left reminding everyone they must still hate Biden. And people saying this will do for Republican turnout what Dobbs did for Democratic turnout. They clearly all have their talking points coordinated, and are upset at the idea of Democrats ever fighting back. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The press was visibly pissed when Obama won handily and frankly easily in '12 despite attempts to manufacture a horse race which never really materialized, and any time Democrats win they always pivot to 'this is not a mandate, Democrats must bring the country together.' This is never a charge levied when Republicans win. They actually admitted it was a mandate in 2020 for Biden - notably, a white president.

In the Beltway world, Republicans are bold, salt of the earth true Americans, and Democrats are the wimps or hippies who must clean up other people's messes (it's never quite stated whose messes those are) and always play defense to prove their bonafides to the heartland, because they are innately inferior/false as 'elites' and it is their role in the hierarchy of American life. This is, at core, an indictment of Beltway media itself - they have been trained for decades to believe they are out of touch with the 'real America' and have 'liberal bias,' all of which is solely defined by GOP strategists, that they are effete coastal elites, and they (especially internal analyticals like Nate Silver, who has been convinced he must now become a 'feeling' pundit) redirect this internalized guilt and contempt onto Democrats vs. themselves while constantly trying to curry the unattainable favor of the right. Then you have the true believers - the elder 'sensible conservatives' or their kids who come out of conservative clubs and think tanks in school, or the evangelical-adjacents.

That's all a longwinded way of explaining a simple thing we already know, though: Both Republicans and media hate when Democrats fight well and win, because Democrats aren't supposed to fight. They are supposed to be the weak libs who eat the shame and sin of everyone else to keep the country functioning and nominally pro-white. When that doesn't happen, the media gets mad because they can no longer live in the old paradigm.

But no, there's no way student loans will energize Republican turnout on par with Dobbs. That is hilarious. If Republicans take one or both chambers it won't be because of that, it'll be the usual midterm trends.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I always liked Robert Davi, but haven't followed his career in many years, which is probably for the best. Also saddened to see John James (admittedly I was never a huge fan, beyond thinking he's hot on Dynasty...) in this type of trash, as much because of the subject matter as because it stars Gina "I was on The Mandalorian and all I got was this Ben Shapiro coffee mug" Carano and Billie Piper's ex, a horrid man whose only positive trait is between his legs (and even that probably isn't true at his current age). 

I'm sure Jesse Armstrong will be pleased that Davi is such a big Succession fan though!

• Members

This is well put. It's the 'strong father' issue. So much has happened since then I almost forget just how desperate the media was to get Romney and Paul Ryan (who each represented many of their ideals and desires) in the White House, with fever pitch after the first debate. The polls they define themselves by were also so warped that year. They truly did believe they could will Romney into winning, which is why you still have this group saying "the turning point was when liberals said mean things about Romney!!!"

Anyway, one of Peter Thiel's stable boys seems to be flailing and flailing. I only wish the other could too.