The Politics Thread

• Members

Meanwhile, another article you can read using archive.is that feels like it's cheering too much for the GOP to recoup and wishcasting a good outcome, but which is informative about what's going on with McConnell and Thiel/Vance and Masters:

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks. I guess McConnell recently groveling to Oz/Masters/etc. at a rally tells you who is winning that battle.

I saw a recent clip of Vance on !@#$%^&*] Carlson...frankly, you could tell he had been eating his feelings, and he was as smarmy and smug as ever. He's lucky that he's in a red state and that Tim Ryan, last seen contorting over student debt, isn't the most dynamic of  candidates.

I do think Masters is in a more precarious position, but the polls showing lunatic Lake winning the gubernatorial race make me nervous.

The best thing going for Democrats  aside from Dobbs may be that Trump still defines the GOP yet he is not actually on the ballot. That may make a difference in Arizona, where I think Martha McSally only did as well as she did  in 2020 because of Trump.

• Members

The Beltway is already trying to dismiss this, but Mary Peltola has become the first Democrat in 50 years to win Alaska's House seat. Yes, ranked-choice voting helped, and yes, Sarah Palin is a deeply loathsome, pathetic figure who fled Alaska for greener pastures then returned when she and her daughter both belly-flopped, but in a number of years that still wouldn't have been enough. Peltola won on her own merits and due to current trends. I just hope that can translate to something positive for November. 

• Members

The spin is that Palin lost because she is unpopular, which is true, but if this year was really a Republican wave Palin would have won easily despite being unpopular. Republicans are desperate to hold on to the wave narrative, but this is the second special election defeat in as many weeks. They failed to take a narrow Biden district and now they have lost a Trump district.

• Members

Rick Scott is a selfish man who has repeatedly shown he will never put anything above his own career and bank account. He may be defrauding their coffers right now. I wonder why he was chosen for this gig. 

@Vee Blake Masters has already done this but apparently even more zealots are trying to scrub and hoping no one will notice. I know the media won't care so I'm glad the various Democratic arms are spotlighting this shift:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/08/30/republicans-abortion-trump-online/