The Politics Thread

• Members

Not inherently political, but he did sing one political ditty for the 1970s "Schoolhouse Rock" educational cartoons! Singer Jack Sheldon, who lent his voice to "I'm Just A Bill", as well as "Conjunction Junction", has died. He was 88.

As it is the political thread, here. Maybe this should be played again for the current Senate, to remind Toxic Turtle and the rest of what their job is supposed to be. This Generation X kid thanks you, Mr. Sheldon!

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You're not. We're being taken to war - right as we head into an economic crash too - by a lunatic who will do anything to be reelected. And a war with a very dangerous, capable foe with many allies.

I need to hear from all those "liberals" who insisted that Trump was better from Hillary and would keep us away from war.

• Members

Those people are shameless and are likely already seeking a way to avoid admitting their folly. 

Since I posted this, I've noticed that the news has only gotten bigger on this topic.  What a way to start the New Year, huh? 

I can't get over how casual some people are being about this. I posted in the Tennis Forum about this, although I was somewhat sarcastic in my tone.  I realize that the fires are not all over the country but still, it is a significant portion of Australia and I've read that the poor air quality has extended to New Zealand so I don't know why officials wouldn't be more concerned.

• Members

Honestly...?  I wouldn't want to put a POC up against Trump now.  Our country has grown too divided; and no POC would be able to form the voting coalition that will be needed to vote Trump out of office.  It's gonna take a lot of time (and a lot of healing) before we can even THINK of putting another POC in the WH.

IA.  On the one hand, I hate the thought of looking once more to the old, white man to save us from Trump (and ourselves).  But, on the other hand, nothing matters more to me than simply beating Trump; and right now, from where I'm sitting, Bernie and/or Biden stand the best chance of doing just that (which isn't saying much, since I still believe Trump will be reelected anyway).

Edited by Khan

• Members

Didn't you and several others here say this (that Trump would bring us into another war, or at least right to the brink of one) would happen as we barreled into primary season?  I know *I* figured that if that had happened -- or if, God forbid, we had another terrorist attack on the same scale as 9/11 -- that a Trump reelection would be a lock.

Whenever anyone said, "Let's hope 2020 will be better than 2019," all I could do was shake my head.  Until that man is removed from the WH, we will never have anything close to a good year.

God, this world is truly falling apart.  Is there ANY place that isn't being roiled right now by some catastrophe?  Forget the wheel, Jesus.  Take the whole damn car.

Hope you and your loved ones are staying safe (and sane), @AdelaideCate007

Edited by Khan

• Members

It's not that I expected most of these POC candidates to have much of a chance of getting far.  It's the playing at diversity and the intentional branding of the Dems as the "most diverse" group ever assembled when, in fact, it is a paper tiger.  Also, I think that the fact that the marketing of the party has been so focused on this aspect at the onset, only to shatter so early in the process (the actual voting hasn't even begun) is likely to have unintended consequences for young voters and voters of colors, some of whom are already disenchanted in the process from last time.  I have already had people who were 1st time voters in 2016, who I have been trying to convince to overcome their bitter disappointment to participate in the process in 2020.  How am I supposed to get through to these people when they see that voting in the actual primaries has little to do with who ends up at the top of the ticket? They see candidates leaving because of lack of money (Harris qualified for the next debate, it was money issues that had her suspend her campaign).  It's hard to argue the integrity of this process when you see Tulsi Gabbard boasting about her $$$ haul.  (Even Bernie is bragging about his fundraising totals).  

I'm not even talking about being the nominee, I'm talking about being able to fully participate in the process, at least up to the first primary, when you have the illusion of people making the decision. 

Reading about the declarations of revenge from Iran and wondering why many Americans believe that somehow they won't be affected.

Everyone really needs to consider the aspect of cyber warfare and how reliant we all are on technology.  In any case, if our Internet systems are affected and we all get cut off, it's been nice chatting and debating with you all on this messageboard.

Only part of me is being tongue-in-cheek about this.

Typo up above.  I meant *voters of color* not colors.  Oh well.

• Members

Sort of because I think she has a serious mental illness. Wasn't she raised in a cult? Add to that the sexual abuse she suffered, I do feel bad that she has suffered so much trauma. Also being followed and messed with those Black Cube people probably did not help her stability. That had to be scary as hell.  I do wish she would STFU about Iran though.

For the candidates who didn't take PAC money, isn't the ability to raise funds an indicator of their popularity, organization and  chances for winning? I'm not saying it is, but asking the question. I tend to think that at least in the case of KH there were problems in her campaign that led to the meltdown and failure to raise more money. In the case of Corey Brooker, well speaking only for myself, I wanted no part of his love train. Screw that to be blunt.

Maybe Biden will choose a person of color to be his running mate. I think anything other than a straight white male would be nice.  At the same time I'm with the people who will vote for any democratic ticket.