• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh sh*t!

Even though I could see this coming, still...to read about it, knowing that it's now an inescapable reality is sobering.   The only possible point of respite is that other countries that are would be allies want no part of this entire debacle.  Not even the U.K. with dopey Boris Johnson wants anything to do with this catastrophe.

• Members

Yes. I am so sad about this.  The amount of destabilization and civilian death our government has caused in the middle east is unconscionable. What is happening right now is nothing short of a pissing contest. I'd love to hear one person in the administration explain the goal.

Blackmail and division possibly.  I'm far from a ME expert, but I imagine the economic consequences of taking out Dubai would have far reaching effects to say the least.

• Members

I know that the UAE often side with KSA (they did with the dispute between KSA and Qatar) and KSA and Iran have been bitter rivals for at least 40 years now (there was a really comprehensive Frontline PBS special all about this) but this would be a very circuitous route to get at KSA, one of USA's ally, imo. Also, Dubai has become a popular destination, especially among the wealthy, so I guess perhaps that might the reason they chose to name it?  The animus between Iran and Israel is obvious but I guess Haifa is considered something of a hotspot, I'm guessing because of its cultural and religious history but because of its somewhat mixed demographics, it strikes me as odd that Haifa would be the city that was mentioned.  I guess perhaps like Dubai, Haifa is seen as high profile in the ME. 

Some news analysts are dismissing these threats but that strikes me as foolish. I bet residents of these cities are taking the threat seriously though. Haifa, experienced rocket attacks by Hezbollah over fifteen years ago and there are said to be at least one Hezbollah-adjacent militia group in Iraq that are backed by Iran.  In the end, Iran may stand down on their statement but to dismiss the threat seems foolhardy.