Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's way too early to be optimistic about O'Rourke or Abrams. I don't expect either of them to pull it out but they've made it competitive, that will last and this will not be the end of their political careers.

(And gosh, it'd be great if one won.)

• Members

I hear that. She's just so much better than he is in every way. Plus he tried to cheat every which way.

I voted about half an hour ago and there was a decent sized line. I brought a cheat sheet the democrats sent out and several people wanted to look at it (some of the races here are technically nonpartisan).  There were a lot of women in line.

• Members

Looks like the GCB showing a narrow Democratic lead was probably about right. If they are lucky they will take the House but it won't be by much. The Senate is probably going to get a few Republican pickups. 

Don't even want to imagine about gubernatorial races. 

• Members

A win is a win. Republicans got a lot done with a little. Democrats could too, to a point. I guess we'll see what happens. 

I am sick to death of the people out there (not anyone here, I mean more in the media and activists) who overhype talk of waves and who also need to make everything about how America is going to stand up to Trump and if they don't then we're all going to hell. America isn't like that, if it ever was. There is no silent majority of people waiting to say [!@#$%^&*] you to Trump. There wasn't in 2016 and there isn't now. 

Moral messages in elections tend to be based on whether you hate people who aren't white, whether you hate gays, abortion, women, people who aren't Christian, etc. 

There is no moral message against Trump that has the same motivation. Too many people don't care and even if they do, they are just struggling to get by.

Even when things do break our way, gerrymandering and voter suppression makes it almost impossible. 

Anything Democrats get tonight is a miracle. We won't have anyone acknowledge that, because just like 2016, the left fell for the trap of overhype and bubble talk. It's too bad. 

I'm not saying people should say "Yay, we got a few Congressional seats." Unless things really change, then tonight isn't a good result, and saying "I told you so" is meaningless. I just mean that I hope rather than either going into full despair, or saying "We'll have the blue wave in 2020," people will start working on some kind of solution about breaking any kind of logjam in the red wall in the long term - like what Eric Holder has been doing with voter suppression and Secretary of State offices, but also long-term campaigns about how to really reach voters and change conversations and to not always be so reactive, not always just get by based on not being Trump or opposing Trump. We should oppose Trump, but there need to be more plans beyond this in order to break out - if that is even possible, if it isn't just too late, which it very well may be.  

I mostly mean people who are in a position to do so, like the big money donors. Obviously people in states that are run by lunatics, as Florida and Georgia very well could be after tonight, have more serious problems. 

Edited by DRW50