Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Is there any way we could nationalize voter registration laws?  You know, make it so that each and every state has to have the same laws for allowing people to vote in elections?  Because, it seems to me that the laws change from state to state.

• Members

I wonder if more focus will ever go onto the loss of retail jobs. It's already been talked about here, but I haven't seen anyone with any actual power trying to stem the tide. I read that the loss of retail jobs - 20,000 over the holiday season no less - is why the last jobs report was underwhelming. 

The media loves to talk about Joe Palooka and Heartland Jane and mention coal mines and factories, but they don't talk about the local K-Mart or Sears. It's not romantic enough. It's too ordinary. Instead they lionize people like Jeff Bezos who from what I've read is not someone worth lionizing.

• Members

^ I don't think we have any better chance at stemming the tide of retail job losses than we do manufacturing. Maybe even less chance. It's one thing to manipulate a market that is largely business to business with tax incentives or penalties. Not that I think that will work long term, but it's relatively straight forward.

On the other hand, how do you make people shop brick and mortar when it's less convenient and more expensive? Making sure Amazon had to collect state sales tax was a step in the right direction, I guess. Still, does it really make it any more likely people will head to the mall?

I can also see why some people think coal and manufacturing jobs are more worthy of saving. Not that I agree in the case of coal, but at least those jobs pay a living wage with benefits. The fall of retail comes with some big problems that go beyond job loss though, there's no denying that.