The Politics Thread

• Members

April Ryan  was on CNN earlier saying that we've entered an age where it's not enough to be a politician. Americans now want a rock star and the entertainment that comes from that.  Jesus help us if that's true.

I can't begin to predict how much support Oprah would have.  She has that certain something and as far as I can see white women love her.  I even like her, even though I hate the kind of lifestyle guru thing she has represented at times. "Live your best life".

Please register in order to view this content

I have no patience with that kind of thing.

That said,  I would surely take her over the likes of Mark Cuban. Still, it's deeply disturbing to me that we are on the edge of being directly ruled by one billionaire after the next.

I question the empathy of any human being with a billion dollars.  Seriously ask yourself if you could feel comfortable having a billion dollars when there are children starving to death. I think at this point she has no idea how real people live. Remember that road trip she did?

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Please. Not another "celebrity".

As a person, I like Oprah. She really is an American success story, overcoming abuse and, let's face it, racial barriers to be one of the most influential women today. But after this nightmare, we need someone with experience to clean up the mess.

And, much loathed as I am to say this, I think Oprah could give us four more years of this because if a white woman being president scares the establishment - and the sexists and racists - no way would a black woman get there without a fight. And I think we could have another 2016, where people vote for the imbecile not because they like him, but because they hate the other candidate more. No, thanks.

For the love of God, there must be a qualified experienced politician out there for the Democrats. Everyone cites his age, but if we can have old Orange Foolius and Reagan, I'd love it if Biden did run.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

Mostly I agree with you, but HRC wasn't just any white woman.  She is the subject of a very effective, decades long hit job by the right.

Like you I don't want another celebrity/billionaire.  This cannot be the new normal, although I fear that it is.  It's really stunning to hear people say the same things that qualified Trump

Please register in order to view this content

qualifies Oprah. Just because you can make a ton of money does not mean you are qualified to run the government. If Trump didn't teach us that lesson I guess we just can't be taught.

• Members

Plus why give up your freedom and subject yourself to all that scrutiny? There are so many reasons for a person in her position not to though. I'd be damned if I'd put up with people's bullsh*t if I were her. 

Also, would she divest herself of her empire? I wonder if one of 45's lasting legacies is that presidents will no longer feel the need to rid themselves of all those conflicts of interest.