Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I posted about this days ago, but this is a followup to the news that a federal judge ruled against Trump's halting of DACA renewal applications.

The government has now started accepting applications for renewals again!

DACA Participants Can Again Apply for Renewal, Immigration Agency Says

• Members

Why did they decide to tie the article to the tax bill when Pfizer likely would have ended research no matter what? It trampled over the powerful story that followed. 

The article is a mess as a result and takes away from what really could have written itself.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

That's what I was wondering. I'm sure for different reasons though.  To me it sounds like they were spending billions and not making much progress. Not sure why any private company would keep going down that rabbit hole.

We can hope other companies have more promising research. Really the government should be funding way more research in all areas, but with Republicans in charge I won't hold my breadth. 

• Members

Frankly, I've never held much faith in "Big Pharma."  They can come up with a little blue pill that will help an old fart sustain a woody in his pants, but they can't find a cure for AIDS, for cancer, for diabetes, and for a million other chronic, life-shortening diseases that are out there?

• Members

I have a lot of problems with big pharma, but this isn't one of them. Increasing blood flow to extremities is pretty straight forward compared to curing complex diseases. 

I'm amazed researchers came up with treatments for AIDS as quickly as they did. Remember we can't even cure the common could because of mutations. Cancer is a bitch and it won't surprise me if we need AI to eradicate it.  Still, there are many treatments for both cancer and diabetes that didn't exist a few years ago and people are living longer with these diseases.

My issue is more the pricing of drugs. I'm sure we all remember some of the more outrageous cases we've seen of them robbing people.

• Members

Big Pharma should have to sell their drugs in this country for the same price as countries with universal healthcare.  Absolutely NO politician will take this on.  Trump made a big deal of it during the campaign and then just did a hand holding meeting with them for the press.