Plastic Surgery Disasters On The Soaps

• Members

Very interesting stuff DTF!

Now I'm beginning to think that maybe we give Lucci's doctors more credit than they deserve, perhaps we should be applauding God and her parents. :P

I'm also thinking that maybe BDD isn't what's going on with some of the people we've mentioned, but perhaps rather strong cases of OCD. As I'm sure you know, those two disorders are related and BDD sufferers often have OCD. There's something about tightening to the full extent (screw "natural"), and losing every bit of "excess" fat, skin, or whatever until you're down to your minimalist self that would make some people with OCD feel very satisfied, that feeling of being "done". Scrubbing and peeling away layers of skin to erase all sign of blemish, imperfection. I equate it to those rock machines where you put the jagged stone in and it comes out all polished and refined. With every little dent or chip of your new smooth rock, it's back into the machine until you're eventually left with nothing. :(

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Susan Lucci's parents and the good lord definitely deserve a round of applause.

Yes, OCD is often associated with BDD. I would argue that BDD is a specific form of OCD.

"There's something about tightening to the full extent (screw "natural"), and losing every bit of "excess" fat, skin, or whatever until you're down to your minimalist self that would make some people with OCD feel very satisfied, that feeling of being "done"

That's a very concise way of describing it and I think you're bang on. I think the daytime television business there is a sense of panic because these actors can't take a lot of time off, they have to get results NOW...they aren't like primetime actors who get a summer hiatus or movie actors who can take a year off.

• Members

Actually no. Suzanne Rogers was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis in the 80s which is a very serious neuromuscular disorder that leads to bouts of very serious muscle fatigue. Fortunately, Suzanne is in remission after a series of surgeries and powerful steroid treatment. Botox would not be an appropriate treatment for Suzanne and I'm sure she has not used it, she has expression lines and can really scrunch up her face. Rather, she's a face lift and filler kinda gal. I think Suzanne looks gorgeous.

• Members

I just saw the latest Soap Opera Weekly that had a picture of Marcia McCabe - Mrs. Chris Goutman - announcing that she will be on ATWT on 12/8. My first thought was - holy new face! She's much too young to have had as much surgery as she has apparently had. We'll see how it looks on camera.

• Members

I'm far more concerned with the extreme thinness of some of the actresses than the face work (though I think that's often overdone, especially natural lips being destroyed).

Some of the women look so boney it's very unattractive, but then they have implants in various places... so you have unnaturally large round boobs set on bones (same with behinds). many women would do well just to gain a little bit of weight. Thinking back on soaps from some time in the past, it just seems folks looked better... sure there was plastic surgery, but not to this extent, and the weight issue wasn't quite as bad as it is now.

Archived