Plastic Surgery Disasters On The Soaps

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When it comes to men it's a hard call...men simply age better because they have thicker skin, more blood vessels and more oil glands. If a man has good skin then he's bound to have great skin whereas if he has poor skin it's going to be truly awful. Male skin, in my experience, is 'extreme'...

David Canary must have had a face lift and I only wish I knew who did it because I think he's the ultimate example of GREAT male plastic surgery.

Susan Flannery absolutely had a facelift and some eye work, the prominence of her chin and the tightness of her jawline stands in contrast to the rest of her body which has changed radically as she's gained and lost weight.

To solve the mystery of Susan Lucci's breasts take a look at her from the last few years Emmy broadcasts, they're perfectly round, like two grapefruits bolted to her chest. Contrast her to Jess Walton or Erika Slezak and you'll see what I mean.

• Members

Susan Lucci's neck is HORRIBLE looking. It's definitely befitting of a woman in her 60's, very boney and wrinkled. It probably wouldn't be as jarring to me if her face wasn't so smooth - a result is a VERY GOOD facelife, I bet.

As a friend of mine pointed out, they've got to stop dressing Susan in those Forever 21 tops that they give her from time to time on AMC.

• Members

I've always thought of the neck and upper chest as body parts that can't really be altered. No matter how tight the face is and how high the boobs are, chicken neck is chicken neck.

And as long as we're talking about men, I agree that there doesn't seem to be a lot of face work out there but what about body work? I can't help but think that there's quite of bit of lipo out there among the male population. Along with some pectoral implants.

• Members

Susan Lucci, in my view, has had breast implants, while her doctor was at it, he lifted them.

The neck can be lifted and tightened. The best docs for that are in France. Robin Strasser had her neck done in the early 2000s in France and I think it's been looking good, she has said that she feels her results didn't last.

The neck and upper chest can be treated with laser and chemical peels. Cording of the neck can be treated with Botox...aside from that there isn't anything else.

You bring up a good point about men and body work, it's very common.

• Members

I was gonna say, her neck has been a topic of discussion in my family since I was playing with Transformers.

I was wondering about David Canary, a few weeks ago I was watching AMC thinking to myself, "Adam's been a sneaky old man for like 30 years now... he's ageless." I guess the silver rinse hair aged him a little prematurely, my dad was gray in his early thirties. But yes, DC's looks great, his skin is draped well over his face. He has awesome bone structure, not like Jacob Young's which I find obnoxious. Sometimes it's like, "J.R., can you tell your jaw to shut the [!@#$%^&*] up..."

I have no doubt that Lucci will continue to tweak and preserve herself for many years to come. Ruth Warrick, who had a couple lifts herself, was a very attractive older lady if you think back. Not unlike Katharine Graham and many other older people, just one bad fall or a broken hip can dramatically alter your health. But I can hardly wait to see what Susie looks like at 80.

• Members

There's this *thing* that some ladies who've had facelifts get a few years post surgery... Flannery, Constance Towers, and Linda Dano, and even Dixie Carter to a lesser extent come to mind. The jawline remains tight, but there's a little pouchy thing that develops under the chin. Know what I mean?

I wouldn't be surprised if SF had her face done right before she started B&B, she'd been off the canvas for a while, makes sense to me.

• Members

Whoever has done Deidre Hall's work deserves a medal! She looks DEE-lightful! My only suggestion, in the shallow world of >hollywood< ( spoken in a whisper, as Brenda Dickson does when saying >hollywood< ) is that she gets some fat sucked out of her arms. For a good 10-15 years, Deidre has sported cute lil' wraps with her dresses at formal affairs, but the wraps were simply there to cover up her chunky flag-arms (a.k.a. "Hi Janes!"). Tighten up those flag-arms and you'll be the hottest 61 year old broad in all of >hollywood< Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go shave my cat, so she knows she has nipples too!

• Members

I know exactly what you're talking about. It sort of looks like the skin underneath the chin is draping like the roof of a tent. What this is is genetic jowling/round face phenomenon. You can nip and tuck and suck and do whatever the hell you want but in the end genetics always win out. The genetic jowling occurs, in my view, when the patient gains even one ounce of fat. Their faces can't handle it and WHAM they get the little pouch of fat.

Flannery, Dano, Towers and Carter all demonstrate this while Jeanne Cooper does not and her body has changed as she's aged (she is 80 after all) which I think really demonstrates that it's genetic.

My bet with Flannery is that, indeed, she had her lift prior to B&B...when that show started her face wasn't tight...it was sculpted.

Here's another tip: if you can manage it, stay at the same weight you were when you graduated high school. Weight gain and loss is one of the worst things you can do to your face, one time the skin simply won't snap back.

• Members

Yikes. Botox in the neck? No thanks.

DtF, you mentioned Body Dysmorphic Disorder. How can you tell the difference between BDD and someone desperate to keep their job in the spotlight? I mean it's obvious that people like Jocelyn Wildenstein have issues but these actors exist in such an unreal world that I wonder if it's their neuroses or just the nature of the business. Obviously some people are secure enough to rise above it but if you spend every day being stared at and appraised doesn't that affect your perspective?

• Members

I know, Botox in the neck sounds awful...but when done correctly it's safe and effective. That said, most people's fear factor gets the better of them, which I understand.

BDD vs Highly Neurotic Looks Wise: BDD is very specific, it has three parts of a diagnosis that must be met

1)The flaw that the patient sees is imagined, it doesn't exist and if a flaw does exist, their obsession with it is ridiculous.

2)This obsession significantly affects their work and/or social life. Some patients become total recluses.

3)The obsession is not better described by another psychiatric disorder (such as anorexia)

A lot of people think Joan Van Ark has BDD but I have to disagree. I don't know her and I've never met her but what I do not see criterion 2 fulfilled. She works, she goes out socially, she's interviewed. She was even on Nip/Tuck playing a woman who had plastic surgery with the same frequency the rest of us have a shower. A person with BDD doesn't do that because they are so petrified of the judgment of others that they hide.

Even Jocelyn Wildenstein, I feel, doesn't fall into a BDD diagnosis easily for the same reason as Joan Van Ark, she's visible, she goes out, she participates. I think there is something else legitimately wrong in the psychiatric sense with Wildenstein but I'm not a psychiatrist so I'm not going there.

Archived