Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks for posting this, Carl.

Does anyone know when Nora was murdered [i.e. month that is]?

I didn't know that Gavin was still on the show at this time. I had thought he had already left before then. Was Preacher on the show by then? If so, they really must've used the remainder of 83 and 84 to push Jodi and Preacher hard. Same with Miles and Beth too.

• Members

Preacher debuted as a dayplayer. He appeared on Edge in mid-December as part of Nora Fulton's plot to destroy Dr. Miles Cavanaugh. Nora hired Preacher to rough up Miles's secretary Barbara Montgomery as Miles slept off a drunken bender in Barbara's apartment, but when Miles awoke, Barbara had been bludgeoned into a coma. Preacher was gone. Actor Charles Flohe had been hired for only a few appearances, but he made such an impression on the writer and audience, he was brought back in February 1983 and placed on contract. Jody went undercover at the Video Disco to prove that Preacher had assaulted Barbara. Of course, she discovered that he was innocent and fell in love with him. This brought an end to her relationship with Gavin. Gavin remained for another six months, producing the play that figured prominently in the Del Emerson stolen ruby plot.

• Members

Thanks for that backstory! happy.png

Seeing as there is so little left of EON online since the EON site was taken offline, it's good to pick people's mind who have a great recollection of the show and scope through this site.

I was trying to figure out who Barbara was so thanks for clearing that up too.

But were people receptive to Preacher/Jodi pairing? Or Preacher in general? Because some EON on Youtube have said they hated the character b/c he was a poor man's version of Luke.

I do like Charles Flohe and his stints on AW & B&B. I do wish that they'd bring Grant back and Flohe to daytime in general.

• Members

Flohe was married to Kim Delaney for a while. I remember reading that it was not a happy marriage. Did Slesar write the video disco thing, or was that Sheldon? Flohe was hot and had tons of charisma, but I thought that that storyline was unwatchable. A lot of the soaps at that point were showcasing Luke Spencer-ish antihero types, like Preacher, GL's Lujack, OLTL's reformed Marco Dane, etc.

• Members

I loved Preacher. I found him a breath of fresh air and far more appropriate for Jody than her previous involvements with Kelly and Gavin, both of whom seemed far too old to be paired opposite Lori Laughlin, particularly when Jody was retconned to jailbait. As for other viewers, I believe at the time fans generally liked Charles Flohe. He would not have been made a contract player and kept to the end if he had not enjoyed a significant following. I not remember analogies to him and Geary's Luke, but at the time, I was in my mid-20s and partying dusk to dawn. It was the 80s, dammit. I probably do not recall nearly as much as I should from that era!

I loved Preacher. I found him a breath of fresh air and far more appropriate for Jody than her previous involvements with Kelly and Gavin, both of whom seemed far too old to be paired opposite Lori Laughlin, particularly when Jody was retconned to jailbait. As for other viewers, I believe at the time fans generally liked Charles Flohe. He would not have been made a contract player and kept to the end if he had not enjoyed a significant following. I not remember analogies to him and Geary's Luke, but at the time, I was in my mid-20s and partying dusk to dawn. It was the 80s, dammit. I probably do not recall nearly as much as I should from that era!

• Members

From what I've seen of EON, Jody did seem a little too young for Gavin and Kelly. She had great chemistry with both but it seemed at bit off. Especially with Kelly and his puppets. :lol: But in that situation, she seemed more mature than him.

And I guess the fans that I've read that don't like Preacher, compare him to Luke because he did become that young lead that was always involved in the adventure stories--much like Luke.

But what I don't get is why they didn't give Jodi/Preacher a happy ending. I would've believed theirs slightly more than Miles/Beth.