Y&R: Week of August 18, 2008

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lily and Cane's story is that bad. I can't believe this but I am rooting for Chloe and not because I like her but because she can actually act and watching CK and DG as some deep abiding love just does nothing for me. They are both mediocre actors although at least DG when matched with stronger actors does better. I don't know about CK. Most of the time she is such a bore, but she is pretty and I occassionally feel for her. She's still young, never will be a great actress, but seems to have a following. I just don't know who you would pair her with if they break her up from Cane permanently which I doubt will happen. I have a feeling they will waste the Paris shoot this fall on some romantic nonsense with Lily and Cane. Nothing like putting too barely adequate actors in a high profile location shoot.

I love Michael and Lauren and CLB and TEB are so terrific as a married couple so no break up but they do need conflict. Even a strong marriage has it's bumps. They also need to get TEB and Lauren in some story outside of her being Michael's support. She needs to do more than devoted wife and mother. She was a fierce business woman and has been running her own company for decades. I would rather see her in business mode that this weak version of Victoria.

Lauren is a major cutomer of both Jabot and Newman's BON and she supposedly writes a column for Restless Style. She has close connections to Forresters. Why don't we see more of her in business scenes instead of hearing about off screen meetings with Lauren. I met Tracey a few weeks ago at a signing and she said she would like to be used more and I know she has said that she would like to see Lauren be a bit more *itchy and in business mode more. Michael and Lauren can still be loving in their own relationship, but these were both very edgy, sarcastic, complicated characters for years and the writers have lost sight of that.

• Members

ICAM, Imfan. I heard somewhere that TEB has recently refused a contract; that's she's currently recurring and likes it that way (although I could be getting her confused with someone else). Is that true? If so, perhaps that's why she's moved into Stepford Wife mode.

I have always loved Michael, particularly when he came on as the bad boy v. Cricket. It was must-see TV. It's good that the writers have let these characters grow, but they have strayed too far from the people they used to be. The same can be said of Phyllis and Victoria.

You have pretty much covered my problem with the Lane craziness. I don't want to repeat myself, but CK can not emote to save her life. The "love of her life" just knocked up some crazy bitch (Chloe :wub:) and all she can do is stomp around and talk about it like it's happening to someone else besides HER.

• Members

I think I heard that somewhere too, that she was happy being on recurring with Y&R. Obviously its understandable why they wouldnt want to put a recurring player at the center of a major frontburner story, because that actor could easily just walk halfway through the storyline. It may be unprofessional, but it's do-able. Still, they could do a lot more with Lauren. Why wasn't she involved more with Restless Style? Why don't we see her at the magazine's office, maybe styling...she could have conflict with Chloe or be in between the warring Phyllis and Sharon.

Or why not have her float between Y&R and B&B, the character supposedly has some sort of friendship/working relationship with Jackie, not to mention her friendship with Eric. They're constantly discussing Forrester on Y&R and Fenmores' on B&B, why not use that connection between Forrester Creations and Fenmores Department Stores to build an actual storyline? It's one crossover that would make sense and could even be ongoing. But for that to work B&B would actually have to be about fashion, which is a whole other issue.

• Members

Yes, she is recurring by choice but I can't really blame her. She was let go by B & B in 98 and then in 2000 Y & R asked her back in a recurring role. At that time her kids were younger and she wanted to take more time off to be with them when they are off school and to leave herself open for outside projects. They did ask her to be contract when she was matched with Michael which was really not planned by the writers but they liked the chemistry between Tracey and Christian. She decided to stay recurring, but she is not your typcial recurring since she really has been with the show or B & B for 25 yrs. She really has grown up on the show and she said she would not just leave and actually makes herself available for heavy story when needed.

I told her earlier this month when I met her that I wished she was on more and she agreed and misses being on more. A friend asked her was it the writers and she mentioned all the writing staff changes. Likey and CLB and TEB were favorites of Jack Smith and under LML and now Maria Bell they really haven't received the story or airtime others have received. I think it is easy for the writers to use them to support other players and stories because they are solid and always deliver but they really need their own story once in awhile.

I know that she and Christian are very close friends but both have said they would like more conflict and she has even suggested bringing back Scotty who could be resentful that she and Michael are raising Fen while he grew up in boarding schools around the world. She also mentioned that she would love to be more involved in business stories and was used in two crossovers with B & B the last few years. She said that B & B tends to focus more on Lauren as a business woman and Y & R more on her personal life with Michael. She also mentioned that she would like Lauren and Michael to be more edgy. They can go many directions with her but they have chosen to rely on her marriage to Michael and support of the family as well as Phyllis last year. She has earned two emmy nominations in the last three years, but I really think the writers don't give her enough to work with. Same hold true with CLB.

I guess it is pretty obvious she is a favorite of mine. LOL.

• Members

RE Tracey E. bregman - she has said several times in interviews and too fans when asked about contract that she is happy on recurring. That might have changed, idk. But i know she has spoken out about liking it that way. However that doesnt explain why they have turned her into podLauren. She has been recurring since she came back around 01/02 and yes she was more of an adult and not little evil bitch she was but that happened in the 90's. She still had it in her and still used it. Also, for someone onr ecurring, she sure has gotten a lot of major storylines. Shiela x2; Tom; The only good part of Out Of The Ash's; Romance with michael.. and good supp storylines as well like the michael/chris/paul/lauren story and the friendships with ashley and phyliss.

I just really want a Lauren storyline AWAY from gloria/kevin/michael. Id love to see them bring ehr back into the bguisness storylines via Fenmores. Nothing major - tho it would be nice - just something without Gloria. But then again im just happen whenever she is on.

• Members

That would be a perfect way to get B&B back on track with being about fashion. Part of B&B's lost focus on fashion had them drop the storyline where Jackie had bought Spectra. If they ever got back to that, they might also remember that Lauren was the only major couture distributor that Nick Marone didn't buy out when he was trying to crush the Forresters. Now that Jackie owns Spectra, she would need Lauren and Fenmores if she wanted to get into the mid-west market, but the Forresters could try and leverage their friendship with Lauren to block Jackie out. That could reignite the old Forrester/Spectra rivalry and put Lauren right in the middle, and that could carry back to Y&R. Both shows would win, if only their respective PTB could see it.

• Members

And the sad thing is that even when Y&R shows Lauren's business, it's fluff, like when she hired Gloria to work at the boutique. And speaking of the boutique, that's another thing that bugs me, since Y&R seems to only focus on that as Lauren's business when she owns a whole department store chain and is (according to B&B, anyway) the leading couture distributor in the midwest. And back in the day, Victor knew what a savvy businesswoman Lauren was, since he agreed to sit on Fenmores' board when she first took over the stores from her late father. Now, you'd think she's just a shop owner and little more, and that's a shame knowing her history.

• Members

Some Y&R thoughts:

Kevin and Jana are adorable (so are Kevin's feet... lol)

Michael and Lauren are propably the most realistic couple on soaps and I love the Baldwin-Fisher dynamic now. (Bring Lauren's son and pair him up with Colleen - can you imagine Traci and Lauren as mother-in-laws?)

Amber and Daniel are another couple I love, another couple with realistic problems and tons of chemistry. Amber has been very funny and I want to see more of her friendship with my girl Chloe.

Poor Chloe is trapped in a love triangle with no other characters! We have no leading man (enough with the crying Cane!) and her nemesis is non-existant. CK might have worked as a secondary character (Devon's girlfriend), but she cannot play Lily.

Adam was very very cute wearing his glasses and A&Heather are another couple I like a lot.

I thought Sharon Collins was the most boring character ever on Y&R. Something has changed eversince HS took over and I find her more interesting and for some reason much much sexier.

KSJ is an asset to this show and I am happy to see more of him :)

I never FF my soaps, but I have not managed to watch any Victor-in-Mexico scenes. Very sad to see EB try to act like Jason Morgan...

Jill looks GREAT and seeing a lot of Kay has been a real joy! :)

Archived